18 Very Strange Houses Website, How Can I Improve It?

javawizard

Would you like to look at www.odd-homes.com and let me know if you
have any thoughts as to how I can make it 1) look more 'professional,'
2) make it more effective in getting people to tell friends about it.
Thanks,
- Jeff

John

Would you like to look at www.odd-homes.com and let me know if you
have any thoughts as to how I can make it 1) look more 'professional,'
2) make it more effective in getting people to tell friends about it.
Thanks,
- Jeff

Jeff,

I think you need more content. The shoe house for example, where is it, how
big, ext. The way the site is now I would just copy and paste a picture to a
friend in an email and wouldn't bother with a link because there in no info
about the house. I think your off to a good start and I like the idea.

Good luck,
John

Andy Dingley

Would you like to look atwww.odd-homes.comand

I think you should stop spamming your crappy little list sites
everywhere. You pitched up a few weeks ago and asked just the same
thing, then you'd spewed your tawdry little efforts (odd facts, AFAIR)
all over the place.

Secondly you're a commercial outfit, which means you're ripping off
content from other sites when it's clearly marked CC-nc-sa. I've
advised the site owner accordingly. I might look up your hosting later
and see if I can be bothered with DMCA paperwork.

Thirdly you're clearly just doing this buttload of sites for a one-off
spam run. This isn't "Odd Homes", it's "One batch of odd homes I found
once, and will never update ever again". That's not the sort of site
that's an overall contribution to the quality of the web. You're
nothing more than a left-over Google search wedged in someone's cache.

Fouthly it's the sort of square-box ugliness that gives web design a
bad name.

John

Andy Dingley said:
[...]

It looks like I spoke too soon. Maybe I should wake up before posting.

John Hosking

Thirdly you're clearly just doing this buttload of sites for a one-off
spam run. This isn't "Odd Homes", it's "One batch of odd homes I found
once, and will never update ever again". That's not the sort of site
that's an overall contribution to the quality of the web. You're
nothing more than a left-over Google search wedged in someone's cache.

I don't know about the "one-off" part of it; he keeps coming back here.

I've always figured the sole purpose of Jeff's sites to be getting
viewers to click on his Google ads. They're always the most prominent
feature of his pages and the actual "content" (which invariably comes
from elsewhere) doesn't measure up in interestingness to make anyone
want to visit.
Fouthly it's the sort of square-box ugliness that gives web design a
bad name.

Mostly one-page sites with large pointlessly wasted space at the bottom.

Followups set to a.h.critique.

Chris Beall

javawizard said:
Would you like to look at www.odd-homes.com and let me know if you
have any thoughts as to how I can make it 1) look more 'professional,'
2) make it more effective in getting people to tell friends about it.
Thanks,
- Jeff

Jeff,

I was actually going to review this site, but I fell asleep while
waiting for the page to load. You might take a look at
http://pages.prodigy.net/chris_beall/TC/Image size.html and the
Bandwidth page that it links to.

Professional sites are usually about a product or service that the site
owner provides. Advertisements for other things distract from that
message. If you want it to look more professional, get rid of the
Google ads.

Chris Beall