2 dumb "links" questions

Paul Burke

Hi all
Sorry if these sound like a dumb questions.

1: If I have a lot of quality outbound links (PR4 or higher) and
they do NOT link back to me, does it help *my* site with page ranking?

2 If I am appearing on someone else's site and their home page has a
page rank, but the link page that I appear on is not page ranked.
Does that affect me? Or is it best to only link from people that have
a PR on their "links" page ?

Thank you for any help. And if possible please reply before tuesday
(I am moving and will not be online for a long while)

plh
Paul

Roy Schestowitz

Paul said:
Hi all
Sorry if these sound like a dumb questions.

1: If I have a lot of quality outbound links (PR4 or higher) and
they do NOT link back to me, does it help *my* site with page ranking?

From what I can recall, they might contribute just a little bit. Someone
else can surely give you a better answer.
2 If I am appearing on someone else's site and their home page has a
page rank, but the link page that I appear on is not page ranked.
Does that affect me?

The effect is probably proportional to the PR.
Or is it best to only link from people that have
a PR on their "links" page ?

It's a rhetorical question, I think. High PR -> More crawling -> More visits
to your site.

Roy

brucie

In alt.html Paul Burke said:
1: If I have a lot of quality outbound links (PR4 or higher) and
they do NOT link back to me, does it help *my* site with page ranking?

2 If I am appearing on someone else's site and their home page has a
page rank, but the link page that I appear on is not page ranked.
Does that affect me? Or is it best to only link from people that have
a PR on their "links" page ?

what did they say over in ?
And if possible please reply before tuesday
(I am moving and will not be online for a long while)

last thing: pack computer.
first thing: unpack computer.

you can easily move several hundred kilometers and no one notices you're
offline.

Paul Burke

From what I can recall, they might contribute just a little bit. Someone
else can surely give you a better answer.
I didn't know if a one-way outbound link would help my site.
The effect is probably proportional to the PR.

It's a rhetorical question, I think. High PR -> More crawling -> More visits
to your site.

Roy

Thanks for the help :)
plh
Paul

Paul Burke

In alt.html Paul Burke said:

what did they say over in news:alt.internet.search-engines ?
No idea. I will look. Thank you,,
last thing: pack computer.
first thing: unpack computer.

Makes no difference. See below.
you can easily move several hundred kilometers and no one notices you're
offline.

Totally wrong. Its over 5000 miles. Different country. Different
electric supply. New monitor needed. New ISP needed.

Thanks anyway
Paul

Toby Inkster

Paul said:
1: If I have a lot of quality outbound links (PR4 or higher) and
they do NOT link back to me, does it help *my* site with page ranking?

Of course not.
2 If I am appearing on someone else's site and their home page has a
page rank, but the link page that I appear on is not page ranked.

Google doesn't have a concept of "sites" for *page* rank. If a highly
ranked *page* links to one of your *pages* it will receive pagerank. If a
PR0 *page* links to your *page* it will only make a small difference.

Roy Schestowitz

Toby said:
Of course not.

I am not entirely sure you are right. Of course having hundreds of links to
big sites won't help, but I think having no links makes your page a 'dead
end' that's not worth crawling.

It is not a bad idea linking to some 'authorities'. It can result in weak
associations, I think...