2 sites or not 2 sites

Yitzak

Hi Just started developing in asp.net, v.new to web development.

I'm building a site whose pages are stored in a DB. This is so I can
develop a content management part or site, which will allow logged in
users to change content.

I need to share stuff bewteen the sites. E.G. so I can use master
pages from main site in content management site for previewing before
user commits new page to DB.

If I separate into 2 sites I can run them as 2 different windows
users:
1. Main site - read only on Database
2. Content site - read/write

If only one site I can achieve this by using SQL authentication i.e.
the 2 parts of the same site would create 2 diff connections - but
that means storing connection string with userid & pwd somehwere.
Isn't this dangerous?

Can you configure part of a site to run under 2 diff user
credentials?

If creating new site get new site to use pages from the main when in
VS2008?

Advice would be appreciated, pls note I know v.little Asp.net and
still very very much finding my way around at this planning stage.

Thanks

bruce barker

you should look a Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS). Its included with
server 2003 r2, or server 2008.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Yitzak

you should look a Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS). Its included with
server 2003 r2, or server 2008.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Thanks not sure if we have it

Hillbilly

Windows SharePoint Services comes bundled -free- with all Windows Server
Operating Systems --BUT-- to deploy SharePoint Server (a different product
built on WSS) to the public is outrageoulsy expensive. Last time I looked
(some time ago) it cost $30,000!

The first thing a developer needs to learn is how to google. If you will
google you will learn how to share a database with multiple sites without
SharePoint.

Guest

Windows SharePoint Services comes bundled -free- with all Windows Server
Operating Systems --BUT-- to deploy SharePoint Server (a different product
built on WSS) to the public is outrageoulsy expensive. Last time I looked
(some time ago) it cost $30,000!

The first thing a developer needs to learn is how to google. If you will
google you will learn how to share a database with multiple sites without
SharePoint.

What all this answers are about? What SharePoint? He's asking about
ASP.NET.

Yitzak, your question depends on how user has been authenticated. Do
you use Windows Authentication, or Forms Authentication?

As for the password, you might consider to use Trusted SQL Server
Connection. This allows the user to bypass the standard SQL Server
logon process. With this approach, a network user can access a SQL
Server database without supplying a separate logon identification or
password because SQL Server obtains the user and password information
from the Windows NT network security process.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=trusted+connection+asp.net+sql+server
http://jingyeluo.blogspot.com/2004/11/setting-up-trusted-connection-between..html

Hope this helps