401.2 (Access Denied) Error When Moving Asp.Net to Production

ElGordo

In our dev environment, our ASP.Net application works fine and outside users
can access it when provided with the proper URL.

Once we moved the application to our public server, we now get a 401.2
error. A windows login prompt occurs once the URL is accessed in the
browser and nobody can log in (no login appears on our dev server).

None of the files have changed, and the Virtual Directory is configured
identically to that of our dev server (Windows Authentication enabled,
Anonymous access enabled).

We have other ASP.Net applications which run without any problems on the
production server.

What could be causing this login box and 401.2 error?

Access is denied.
serve this request. The server may not be configured for access to the
requested URL.

Error message 401.2.: You do not have permission to view this directory or
page using the credentials you supplied. Contact the Web server's
administrator for help.

ElGordo

No, I don't.

We didn't have this set in the app hosted on our dev box and public users
can access it remotely without any problems.

Is this an attribute of <authentication mode="Windows" /> ?

Karl Seguin

no, it's an attribute of the <identity> element, if you don't have one
(which you likely don't) it defaults to false, so that's not likely your
problem.

I take it you also don't have a <deny> element under authorization?

It might be a ntfs permission problem..the anonymous user might not have
access...

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
annoying)

ElGordo

Hmmm....

I added the line <identity impersonate="true" /> under the <system.web>
element and now we can access that application remotely without any
permissions issues.

Thanks- I was not aware of this setting.