4GL Internet Toolkit is now available for download and evaluation

Mel

Again. I did not claim to be perfect. Its the idea that counts. Would
you like to volenteer to make it better ?

Mel

sorry to have disapointed you. can't help it.

BUT dont look at the cover, its what's inside that matters no ?

any other comments ? have you tried it ?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Mel quothed:
sorry to have disapointed you. can't help it.

BUT dont look at the cover, its what's inside that matters no ?

I shall refrain from commenting on that because I am currently in good
mode.
any other comments ? have you tried it ?

To be honest, I couldn't exactly figure out what it's supposed to do.
Make web pages? I make my own by hand and I like it that way. Html
isn't hard. It may take awhile to become an "expert" but _that_ is the
only way you are going to get really good at it.

Mel

Please take a look at this site and tell me how long it would take you
to do it
http://TK.RedOlive.com

if you can do it in a day !!! less so 4 hours, they i will convert to
yours
I believe in reusability and component based architecture. thats the
idea here.

Please try builing this site, that is simple, with no forms and let me
know
when i can have it

Jonathan N. Little

Mel said:
Please take a look at this site and tell me how long it would take you
to do it
http://TK.RedOlive.com

if you can do it in a day !!! less so 4 hours, they i will convert to
yours
I believe in reusability and component based architecture. thats the
idea here.

Please try builing this site, that is simple, with no forms and let me
know
when i can have it
Hmmm 51 validation errors, even without running the validator saw stuff
like this:

No thanks, I'll stick with hand-coding

Mel

I guess you cant see the forest for the trees !
I never claimed anywhere that my components are perfect and pass any
validation that Jonathan could come up with now. did i ?

Obviously The components that your would write will pass all those
tests. ITS the idea that counts. How things should be.

Let me ak another questions. Why don't you write ASSEMBLY CODE instead
of perl or C++ or Java ?

I consider HTML as assembly language of internet. If you can get your
calendar in one line of code like:

tk::calendar -variable myvar

would you still sit down and write 800 lines of javascript ?

think about it, please before jumping into conclusions.

You are not forced to use anything you dont like, but someday soon we
all have to.

regargds;
Mel

Jonathan N. Little

Mel said:
I guess you cant see the forest for the trees !
I never claimed anywhere that my components are perfect and pass any
validation that Jonathan could come up with now. did i ?

Please learn how to quote.

If your toolkit is supposed to generate HTML markup then it should
produce valid code. If not, it is not a good toolkit.

Obviously The components that your would write will pass all those
tests. ITS the idea that counts. How things should be.

Let me ak another questions. Why don't you write ASSEMBLY CODE instead
of perl or C++ or Java ?

Not sure what your driving at, but if your tool kit is supposed to
generate C++ code, (oh I don't know been way too long say like OWL for
Borland C++ to generate Windows UI), but generated invalid code, what
good would it be?
I consider HTML as assembly language of internet. If you can get your
calendar in one line of code like:

tk::calendar -variable myvar

Fine if the markup is valid, if not does not display correctly in the
browser, again what good is it?

would you still sit down and write 800 lines of javascript ?

think about it, please before jumping into conclusions.

Not conclusions, observations...Have you looked at the markup your
toolkit generates? Not just deprecated markup, but some markup that is
just plain incorrect.

You are not forced to use anything you dont like, but someday soon we
all have to.

regargds;
Mel

Lastly, with Usenet protocol, a signature is denoted with 2 hyphens, as
space and a carriage return.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Mel quothed:
Please take a look at this site and tell me how long it would take you
to do it
http://TK.RedOlive.com

if you can do it in a day !!! less so 4 hours, they i will convert to
yours
I believe in reusability and component based architecture. thats the
idea here.

Hmmm, I doubt in less than 5 hrs. -A whole day (-24 hrs.), maybe...
But after reading the new replies, I think I "get" your idea. Web-wise
as an analogy, you're trying to build a "Basic" (et al.) to the
"Assembly language" of html (etc.)

I don't know how feasible that is, but if it "gets your juices flowing"
I see nothing wrong with trying, and good luck!
Please try builing this site, that is simple, with no forms and let me
know
when i can have it

Thanks for the challenge but I do not build pages on such a basis. They
must interest me, appeal to me, and usually be useful to me. Otherwise
I just get sleepy from boredom and start fantasizing about frames or
something.

Mel

We did not even get into the major areas. What you see
there is a simple case and like you said, can not be
done in a day or two, while its up and running in 4 hours
Once you get to Session management and Persistent object
area and forms; that is when the light bulb goes off.

You same an order of magnitude in time and effert then
and then only.

consider a simple form like this:

tk::form -name MYFORM -callback MyCallback {
text fname= size=20
text lname= size=30
text paswd= size=30 type=password

submit_button action="PRESS MEL"
} page "Main" id 1238

or on any page save your interesting stuff for the life
of this session as simple as:

tk::setAttribute -name ShoppingCart "1 MacosX $2000, 2 Car $14500"

and access it from any page like:

set cart [tk::getAttribute -name ShoppingCart]

each of these lines translate into 100s if not 1000s of
code.

But anywho. it all does not matter anyway

[...]

Well, as I said, best of luck to you. I'm "into" javascript which can
also be used to "versatilize" and/or simplify html so there is some
empathy here.