64 bit linux on VM to run Java app

Tom Anderson

It sounds as a great idea.

But I doubt that it is in practice.

HW at that level is beyond me, but I draw my conclusions from the fact
that newer RISC architectures (PPC, Alpha and Itanium) does not use
register windowing (Itanium uses register windowing which has the same
idea though).

I wonder if it's because more modern architectures do register renaming,
which means they don't need windowing. Both are effectively ways of using
more physical registers than you have architectural registers, so having
both is redundant; windowing takes less logic, but renaming gives you more
performance, so as processors have got bigger, there's been a shift from
windowing to renaming. Pure speculation, of course.

tom

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
You were not explicit. You made only a vague reference saying you
were "ignoring" the issue.

You still do not "presume" you can always "elaborate" or "give details".
Besides it doesn't matter a rat's ass.

If you don't think usenet posts matter, then why do you post ?

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
The post you replied to contained the following (that you did not
quote):

#[I am ignoring the 1024 versus 1000 issue]

Is that statement unclear ????

YES . Please see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsgroups.html

I am not talking to you. I am talking to the audience which consists
primarily of newbies. It is not necessarily obvious to them.

No.

But if that is the case then you should explain instead of
misleading them !

Arne