Java Web Start Cache Viewer Windows 64-bit

FutureScalper

Using Java 6, EITHER Updates 17 or 19 (skipped over 18) I do not see
my cached Java Apps in the Cache Viewer.

I have done this for years, and expect to see the apps so I can create
their desktop shortcuts. I understand how 64-bit windows works, and
how 32-bit compability works as well.

There is no 64-bit Java on this system. 32-bit Java only, installed
in the c:\Program Files (x86) directories, and the \windows\syswow64
area.

64-bit Command Prompt correctly fails on the Java command -- there is
no 64-bit Java installed, as expected.

Explicitly using the 32-bit Command Prompt at c:\windows
\syswow64\cmd.exe for all commands, Java is correctly installed.

javaws -viewer calls up the Cache Viewer, but it is empty and should
show a couple of Apps which I just downloaded.

These apps have just been run and initially cached via a .jnlp link
through Internet Explorer (64-bit IE, I presume).

Their .jnlp source files have not changed.

WHAT COULD BE THE REASON THEY DON'T SHOW IN THE CACHE VIEWER?

Is Java Web Start getting confused as to where it places the cache,
versus javaws -viewer cache area?

Internet Explorer is a 64-bit application, and the caching is
initially done via IE. But there's no 64-bit Java installed, so I'm
even beginning to wonder, how did Internet Explorer execute the
caching, since it is presumably a 64-bit application, while all the
Java on this system is 32-bit?

FutureScalper

OK, I guess I have the answer.

Using the 32-bit Command prompt ( \windows\syswow64\cmd.exe )

I executed the command javaws <...the http:// .... url to my jnlp file
Both of my apps downloaded all jars again, and started.

Then, using javaws -version again from the 32-bit command prompt

BOTH of my Apps each showed up as 2 entries.

So, clearly one of the two can be used for my Desktop shortcut

Obviously, Java Web Start's behavior on Windows 64 has some "gotchas"
associated with it.

I guess I can't tell my users to use Internet Explorer for the initial
download, since it won't work.

I'll have to tell them to use the 32-bit command prompt and use javaws
to download the Apps.