80004005 error

TG

I initially posted this in a different ng. I was advised that this ng
was perhaps more attuned to my question. The following is my original
post:
*************
VB.NET 2003 on XP Pro

I get the following error when I attempt to run my project. I've
Googled
and looked on MSKB, with no luck. Any ideas from the group?

Thanks
tg
*************************
Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the
web
server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.
***********
The following is the entry that was in the Event Viewer:

aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

Can someone please help with this?
Thanks,
tg

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi,

Thank you for the response. Regarding on the issue, I am
finding proper resource to assist you and we will update as soon as posible.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security(This posting is provided "AS IS",
with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

richlm

The default worker process account on XP is ASPNET (unless you have done
anything to explicitly override this).
Check that ASPNET has read access to
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 and full access to
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files. (It
should do - this is set up when you install .NET framework)

Are you using impersonation? If so then the impersonated user also requires
the same access to these two folders.

There's more info on the permissions required for the worker process account
and impersonating account at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetHT01.asp

If that does not solve it, here's a comprehensive checklist of things to
look for when you get "Unable to start debugging..."
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../en-us/vsdebug/html/vxtbshttpservererrors.asp

Richard.

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Tg,

Thanks for posting in the group.

Based on the problem description, the problem is: You are using VB.NET 2003
for developing on a Windows XP box. However, you got the following error
when debugging web app:
Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web
server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.
aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that
the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the
installation directory allow access to the configured account.

From the error message, we can see that the problem is caused by
insufficient rights of worker process. Generally speaking, worker process
is running under aspnet account on Windows XP. Please refer to the
following article and applies the steps in it:
"PRB: "Aspnet_wp.exe Could Not Be Started" Error Message When You View an
ASP.NET Page"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811320

The following article have much more information on this topic:
"INFO: Common Errors When You Debug ASP.NET Applications in Visual Studio
.NET"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306172

If the problem still can't be resolved by the above articles, please try
reinstalling asp.net on the machine. Please refer to the following artilce
for steps of reinstalling asp.net on the machine:
"HOWTO: Repair IIS Mapping After You Remove and Reinstall IIS"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306005

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Tg,

Has the problem been resolved? If you still get the error message, please
feel free to post here and I am glad to be assistance.

Thanks very much.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hi Bob,

One good way for you is to use FileMon and RegMon to isolate the permission
problem. They can be got at www.sysinternals.com.

Thanks.