A byte can be greater than 8 bits?

CBFalconer

jacob said:
I told you thousand times that, Chuck but you will not
listen. I used the instruction xadd in the generated code
and that instruction is pentium only. This doesn't happen
in the compiler, if I remember correctly, but only in the debugger.

Since you did NOT want to pay me my consulting fees to backport
lcc-win32 to your 486 and you are the ONLY user of that backport
you will excuse me but I did not do it.

And you will complain the next 10 years, I know, but that's life
Chuck. No money, no work

No, you are the one confused. I told you what Pentium instruction
was trapping (I don't recall xadd, but I may be mistaken). I am
not complaining, I am simply pointing out that your claims are
flawed, for the benefit of others.

jacob navia

Charlie said:
Notepad ?

Look, maybe you do not know the history of this. Chuck has been telling
this since more than 6 years. I find his position tragic somehow,
because it represents the views of many people here, that insist on
living in the past.

There is a positive side to that too, the refusal to follow the fads,
the refusal to accept this eternally bloated hardware and software,
the refusal to always use more, consume more, use the fastest machine,
be current with your OS.

Somehow I am like that too in some ways. I stay with a simple language,
I prefer simpler software. That is why I have always tried to argue with
Chuck even if he has gotten into a position so extreme that is a
caricature of mine. But it is a valid position, and if I would have the
time I *would* satisfy him. Maybe I will do it some day.

santosh

jacob said:
Look, maybe you do not know the history of this. Chuck has been telling
this since more than 6 years. I find his position tragic somehow,
because it represents the views of many people here, that insist on
living in the past.

I think if you mentioned on what processors lcc-win32 ran on, there would be
no need for anyone to provide such corrections and the consequent debates.

It my understanding that the command-line tools of the lcc-win32 package
will run on all platforms where a conforming C implementation is available,
while the IDE and the debugger need at least a Pentium processor.

Is this right?

Charlie Gordon

CBFalconer said:
Horrors. Then Real-C might even become popular, and all sorts of
code written in it by eager neophytes, which code can no longer be
made to run on older or newer machines, which in turn take
advantage of one or more of the known (or presently unknown)
advantages of sign-magnitude or 1's complement.

In your dreams.

Support for saturated arithmetics is a more likely exension.