A DMG for Macosx Tiger.

Asset

I want to learn programming from the beginning and i choosen to start
with Ruby.
I tried several times to do what's written here
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger
but it doesn't work.

when i do this mate ~/.bash_login i get an error even after installing
textmate and write textmate ~/.bash_login and things tried many things a
copple of hours.

So i searched with google for a working dmg i get a litle bit angry too
see there is a exe for windows but for mac is nothing. I searced and
searced but found no DMG. Is there somebody they know were i can find a
DMG for OSX or must i buy a windows PC.

James Edward Gray II

I want to learn programming from the beginning and i choosen to start
with Ruby.
I tried several times to do what's written here
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/
ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger
but it doesn't work.

when i do this mate ~/.bash_login i get an error even after installing
textmate and write textmate ~/.bash_login and things tried many
things a
copple of hours.

TextMate does not install the mate command, until you ask it to. Try
this...

1. Launch TextMate
2. Choose Terminal Usage... from the Help menu
3. Push the Create Link button

Hope that helps.

James Edward Gray II

Asset

That works i now did all the hings below.

But now it seems there is nothing installed. were can i start Ruby i
cant't find anything

James Edward Gray II

That works i now did all the hings below.

But now it seems there is nothing installed. were can i start Ruby i
cant't find anything

You're leaving the land of your Mac GUI my friend. ;) Try opening
the Terminal application and typing:

ruby -v

She's there and listening... ;)

James Edward Gray II

Asset

Thanks

ruby -v gives [powerpc-darwin8.0] i think it works now.

I read somewhere too use a teksteditor so i can try further now. Thanks

Benjohn Barnes

Thanks

ruby -v gives [powerpc-darwin8.0] i think it works now.

I read somewhere too use a teksteditor so i can try further now.
Thanks

If you're starting from the beginning, you'd probably do really well
to use the interactive ruby shell. You can type commands in to it
directly and see what they do, so it's really good for learning; it
saves you needing to write programs and try them out.

You can run the shell by going to the command line and typing irb.
There are a lot of simple Ruby tutorials about on the web. Here's one:

http://poignantguide.net/ruby/chapter-3.html

You'll be able to try out the ideas in the using irb.

HTH, Cheers,
Benjohn