Rails OSX Tiger RMagick Bus Error Abort trap

Victor Rosillo

Hi;

I am using a PowerBook G4 with:
OSX Tiger version 10.4.7; Rubygems 0.9; Rails 1.1.6; RMagic 1.13.0

I have Ruby and friends installed at /usr/local/...
just as described in:
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger

then installed RMagick as descibed in:
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2006/06/10/rmagick_os_x

Then installed file_column and the full Rails environment worked fine
for about four weeks. I could do script/console under iterm and get
into the
development environment.

Then, I had to update Quicksilver, Rubygems and Rails; after
that, I can't access script/console.

If I do script/console under my Rails app dir in iterm, I get this:

PBG4:~/Rails/app vr_mex$ script/console
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-1.13.0/lib/RMagick.bundle:
[BUG] Bus Error
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.7.0]

Abort trap

So then I deleted all RMagick using: uninstall-RMagick.rb and went to
install RMagick again via the same method:
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2006/06/10/rmagick_os_x

I got nowhere same error when I do script/console under my Rails app
dir; so then I thought it had to do with file_column, so I went
and tried it with acts_as_attachment via doing th sample Rails app in:
http://weblog.techno-weenie.net/articles/acts_as_attachment

For acts_as_attachment example to work, I had to install
acts_as_attachment-1.1.6 that I got from here:
http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/tags/acts_as_attachment...

Well I got acts_as_attachment to work fine, but when I went into iterm
and tried script/console, I got the same error as before; so clearly
it is not a
problem with acts_as_attachment or file_column

Then from iterm I did this:
PBG4:~/Rails/app vr_mex$ ruby -rrubygems -e "require 'RMagick'; puts
Magick::Long_version;"
This is RMagick 1.13.0 ($Date: 2006/06/26 23:32:37 $) Copyright (C)
2006 by Timothy P. Hunter
Built with ImageMagick 6.2.8 09/22/06 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
Built for ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.7.0]
Web page: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org
Email: (e-mail address removed)

If i do this :
PBG4:~/Rails/app vr_mex$ which ruby
/usr/local/bin/ruby

So I reinstalled Ruby and friends again at /usr/local/...
just as described in:
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger

then reinstalled RMagick again as descibed in:
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2006/06/10/rmagick_os_x

And still getting the same error, can't get script/console to work.

I need to have script/console access when using RMagic under Rails.

Please Help

Timothy Hunter

Victor said:
[...]

Uninstall RMagick and install it again from source - not from the gem -
using the instructions at http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-osx.html.
The installation includes running 175+ tests. Pay close attention to the
output from these tests. Do you get any errors? If so, report them to
(e-mail address removed). If not, then RMagick is installed and running
properly and you need to look elsewhere for the problem. My guess
(lacking any other information) would be that you have two versions of
ImageMagick installed. To determine that you'll just have to search your
filesystem. If that turns out to be the case, remove both *completely*
and install ImageMagick and RMagick again *from source* using the
procedure outlined in the RMagick installation FAQ.

If you do have to re-install ImageMagick, think about using the
--with-quantum-depth=8 option when you configure ImageMagick. For
general images intended for the web and for printing on inkjet printers
8 bits is enough and you'll cut your memory requirements in half and
your CPU requirements almost in half.