a good book for a newbie?

John Salerno

Hi all. I was wondering if you could recommend a good JavaScript book
for a newcomer to the language. I'm considering "JavaScript for the
World Wide Web: Visual QuickStart Guide", but some reviews of it don't
seem to think it teaches it that well. After searching Amazon, there
don't seem to be too many choices for "intro" type books. I definitely
don't need a reference or an "inner workings" book yet, just something
to show me the syntax and how to write my own scripts efficiently.

Thanks,
John

Eric B. Bednarz

John Salerno said:
Hi all. I was wondering if you could recommend a good JavaScript book

Lurking generally pays off.

I definitely

Aha! ;-)
don't need a reference or an "inner workings" book yet, just something
to show me the syntax and how to write my own scripts efficiently.

'The syntax' without 'a reference' and 'efficiently' without 'inner
workings'; oh well, jolly good luck.

John Salerno

Eric said:
Lurking generally pays off.

Aha! ;-)

'The syntax' without 'a reference' and 'efficiently' without 'inner
workings'; oh well, jolly good luck.

Well, basically I mean it doesn't have to be a book that can later be
used as a reference (I can get another for that), but instead can be
something to read straight through that teaches me the language.

Danny

One that some find rather good for a jumpstart is the JavaScript
Bible, is a big hardcover book with lots of illustrations, examples
and explanations and guidelines. It has a good desktop publishing
layout presentation, For reference, later on, if you like hardcopy,
O'reilly's JavaScript Definite Guide vol 4.

Danny

John Salerno

Danny said:
One that some find rather good for a jumpstart is the JavaScript
Bible, is a big hardcover book with lots of illustrations, examples
and explanations and guidelines. It has a good desktop publishing
layout presentation, For reference, later on, if you like hardcopy,
O'reilly's JavaScript Definite Guide vol 4.

Danny

The O'Reilly book seems to be the most suggested and highest rated. Do
you think it's something for a beginner to JS to start with?

John Salerno

Ed said:
I recently jumped into javascript. About two months ago. You're going to
have fun. :)

I checked out a bunch of books from the public library, including the
Rhino and Javascript Bible. Today, after reading through the others and
reading plenty of net-based tutorials, I have only the Rhino. I bought it.

I would not recommend buying any of the beginner-level books. You'll use
it once and never again refer to it. At least not if you have O'Reilly.

But does the O'Reilly book introduce the language, and actually *teach*
it? What I'm looking for now is a basic intro to the language so I can
start writing some simple scripts for my pages. I'm not doing anything
professionally, so I definitely don't need a hugely advanced book.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

John said:
Well, basically I mean it doesn't have to be a book that can later be
used as a reference (I can get another for that), but instead can be
something to read straight through that teaches me the language.

There is not "the language", to begin with. Why do you not read the FAQ
before you post?

PointedEars

Roger

John said:
Hi all. I was wondering if you could recommend a good JavaScript book
for a newcomer to the language. I'm considering "JavaScript for the
World Wide Web: Visual QuickStart Guide", but some reviews of it don't
seem to think it teaches it that well. After searching Amazon, there
don't seem to be too many choices for "intro" type books. I definitely
don't need a reference or an "inner workings" book yet, just something
to show me the syntax and how to write my own scripts efficiently.

Thanks,
John

You may think this is off topic, but it is not. In addition to all the
good books recommended (I also use only Flanagan), consider the JSLint
program at:
http://www.crockford.com/jslint/lint.html

Roger