A message to Andrew T about Ubuntu and Java

CGeek Wannabe

As I am unable to see your posts and therefore unable to reply, I am
hoping this is not a breach of protocol..

I use the Sun JDK 6 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron. I downloaded it from the Sun
Site and installed it in /usr/local/java/jdk on my machine.
Then I made sure that
a) JAVA_HOME is set to /usr/locla/java/jdk
b) PATH has ${JAVA_HOME}/bin at the start

If you have these things set up, you should have no issues developing
with Ubuntu. Eclipse works like a charm. I have it installed
and use an alias from the cli to run it.

Netbeans works well also, although I do tend to use Eclipse as my IDE of
choice. YMMV

Cheers

CGeek Wannabe

How come you cannot see Andrew's posts?

My GG filter is filtering his posts and I have yet to figure
out how to set up an exception rule. That's one of the
drawbacks to filtering GG, and I'm still working out how
to score for exceptions

CGeek Wannabe

<snip>

I assume that "CGeek" is referring to a filter he's using to filter _out_
posts from Google Groups (given Google's disinclination to take effective
steps to prevent their services from being used for spam, not necessarily
a bad idea). "CGeek" is actually running the "slrn" newsreader on Debian.
Yes, you are correct. I am trying to work out how to filter out google
groups using slrn's Score while still being able to see posts from
useful posters like Andrew. I'm close to a solution. I would be happy
to post my solution to this thread when I find it, if there is any
interest. Although, a review of what you can see at the Usenet
Improvement Project site (see my sig) may get you to a solution faster
than waiting for my feeble mind :)

PS - Did I do the snipping right? I am still learning this stuff even
though I've been posting (incorrectly) for a few years.

CGeek Wannabe

getting things configured how he likes. But it might not be trivial to
figure out. :)

Pete

It wasn't that hard:

[*]
Score: =-9999
~From: Andrew Thompson

Notice the ":" This means that both
conditions have to be true in order for the score to be applied.

Andrew Thompson

On Sep 1, 1:57 am, CGeek Wannabe <[email protected]>
wrote:
I use the Sun JDK 6 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron. ....
If you have these things set up, you should have no issues developing
with Ubuntu.

Thanks for your input.

I also enjoy reading your posts that discuss
tips on filtering. :)

Andreas Leitgeb

CGeek Wannabe said:
[*]
Score: =-9999
~From: Andrew Thompson
Notice the ":" This means that both
conditions have to be true in order for the score to be applied.

Using slrn myself, I find this interpretation "interesting".
The colon is just syntax of each rule line. It doesn't imply
anything about how multiple rules interact.

All rules following the bracketed newsgroup-pattern until the
next newsgroup-pattern have to be true for the rule to fire.

Btw., I do not filter gg-postings, myself, but I offer another
rule here:

<rot13>
[pbzc.ynat.wnin.cebtenzzre]
Fpber: =-8999
AAGC-Cbfgvat-Ubfg: .*\.grarg\.bqrffn\.hn
</rot13>

By only scoring it -8999 I still get to see it as scored-down in
the overview, and if I see such a posting in a thread that interests
me, I look at the headers (t to toggle them) and find the Message-Id
of the original which I then select, then press Esc-l and then paste
the msgid, so I get to see the original.

Maybe there's already a feature to view the original, but I failed to
find it in the help-screens, and I skimmed them a few times just to
find the "Esc-l"

PS: I wouldn't go as far as recommending slrn for everyone, unless
everyone had a remote-host running it inside a screen-session, to
which he would attach to from a number of different local machines.

CGeek Wannabe

On 2008-09-01 said:
Using slrn myself, I find this interpretation "interesting".
The colon is just syntax of each rule line. It doesn't imply
anything about how multiple rules interact.

Interesting maybe...but according to the site below, quite true

http://slrn.sourceforge.net/docs/slrn-FAQ-4.html#ss4.12

<segment quoted from site>
We're assuming that a followup contains a ``Subject'' line starting with
``Re:'' and/or has a ``References'' header line. To assign a score of
-9999 to such an article use:

Score:: -9999
Subject: ^Re: