Aborting a read with pySerial

John Nagle

I'm using pySerial to read from a serial port.
One thread reads from the port, with no timeout.
Another thread handles output and other tasks. This works
fine until I want to shut down the program. I can't reliably
break the program out of the read when it's waiting. On Windows,
closing the serial port will abort the read, but that seems to have no
effect on Linux.

I know, I could put a timeout on the read and handle all those
null returns. Is there a better way?

John Nagle

Aahz

I'm using pySerial to read from a serial port. One thread reads from
the port, with no timeout. Another thread handles output and other
tasks. This works fine until I want to shut down the program. I can't
reliably break the program out of the read when it's waiting. On
Windows, closing the serial port will abort the read, but that seems to
have no effect on Linux.

I know, I could put a timeout on the read and handle all those null
returns. Is there a better way?

No
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

[on old computer technologies and programmers] "Fancy tail fins on a
brand new '59 Cadillac didn't mean throwing out a whole generation of
mechanics who started with model As." --Andrew Dalke