Access 3rd-frames in Firefox or MSIE

Xu, Qian

Hello All JS-Experts,

Is it possible to access 3rd-frames in Firefox or MSIE? I would like to
write a html-based test framework. There are two frames. One is the test
console and the other is a test box. However I failed to read contents
of a Web page, when it comes from a 3rd-domain.

Is it really impossible?

SAM

Xu, Qian a écrit :
Hello All JS-Experts,

Is it possible to access 3rd-frames in Firefox or MSIE? I would like to
write a html-based test framework. There are two frames. One is the test
console and the other is a test box. However I failed to read contents
of a Web page, when it comes from a 3rd-domain.

Is it really impossible?

You can say it is.

cross-domain is not allowed !

you can display a foreign page in a frame (or iframe or window) but you
can't interact with it :-(
the foreign page will not be readable by JS.

All you can try to do it is to download it with php, and there
(server-side) to try to read it, extract datas or tags and then to send
results to browser (eventually in JS variables).

Martin Honnen

Is it possible to access 3rd-frames in Firefox or MSIE? I would like to
write a html-based test framework. There are two frames. One is the test
console and the other is a test box. However I failed to read contents
of a Web page, when it comes from a 3rd-domain.

Is it really impossible?

Inside of the browser sandbox it is not possible but you could try to
write a HTML application (HTA) on Windows, that way your HTA code can
access the frame. See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536471(vs.85).aspx
Or learn how to write Firefox extensions, then your extension code can
access the HTML documents loaded in browser windows or frames.