Access Clickonce from ASP.NET application

nick.althoff

I'm developing an ASP.NET application where I'll need to be accessing
some files on the client machine. I basically need to show information
about files in a directory on the client machine in a datagrid. I was
thinking that the best approach for this would be to write an ActiveX
control, but I was wondering if anyone had any luck developing a click
once application and accessing that from an ASP.NET page. The purpose
of that would be to call into the click once application to aquire
information about the file directory to display in the ASP.NET
datagrid. Any suggestions? Thanks!

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

a standard click once (or .net based active/x control) will not have
permission to do this. they will have to be installed locally, and have the
user update the permissions, or trust your site.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

I'm developing an ASP.NET application where I'll need to be accessing
some files on the client machine. I basically need to show information
about files in a directory on the client machine in a datagrid. I was
thinking that the best approach for this would be to write an ActiveX
control, but I was wondering if anyone had any luck developing a click
once application and accessing that from an ASP.NET page. The purpose
of that would be to call into the click once application to aquire
information about the file directory to display in the ASP.NET
datagrid. Any suggestions? Thanks!

To continue a little on Bruce's reply, even client-side JavaScript is
able to access the client's file system *if the permissions are given*.
That's the whole trick. You won't gain anything more by using ActiveX or
ClickOnce.

See this demo writing files to the local disk using plain JavaScript:
http://www.galasoft-lb.ch/myjavascript/CExplorer/index.html

In normal scenario, accessing the file system is just not possible
because of the security sandbox.

HTH,
Laurent