Access Denied ... <add assembly="*">

Randy Paez

I installed a control that i got rid of. Now when i try and run another
project i get an Access is Denied {to that control}. It highlites <add
assembly="*"> from the machine.config file. How can i get asp.net to not
look for that control anymore? Please help!

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

I had one of those the other day and it was really annoying. You may have
to reboot.

The first thing to try is from the Run box:

net stop iisadmin /y

iisreset

In my case, it took a reboot. I wish I could produce a repro scenario for MS
'cause it is dangerous to have a DLL go bad and lock up like that on a
production machine. I didn't think it was supposed to happen at all in .NET.

Ken

Randy Paez

Thanks for your reply.

I agree, seeing something like makes me wary of getting to fancy with the
still relatively young ASP.NET. Soon after i wrote my message i fixed my
problem: .Net keeps referenced DLLs and contros in the applications bin
directory. If you remove the DLL/control from the references, .NET does not
remove it from that directory. My problem went away once i removed the DLL
from which i was receiving the Access Violation. Knowing that, the highlited
line in the machine.config made sense: <add assembly="*"> is telling .NET
to bind all the reference assemblies in the bin directory. I still don't
know why i got an Access Violation to that DLL, but i can worry about that
later.

Think this makes any sense? Does MS read these newsgroups? Think I should
send this to them?

Alex Papadimoulis

Hi Randy,

This is a problem that has plauged many-a-developers. It has something to do
with Index services or antivirus software locking a file, or something like
that. While I haven't been able to fix it myself, a simple "Rebuild
Solution" does.

Alex Papadimoulis

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

On the box where I had the problem, we don't run Index server... or
anti-virus software. It still baffles me.

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Randy,

Firstly I want to think Ken and Alex for their great help in this issue.

Based on my research and experience, this problem is because that the
Temporary ASP.NET Files directory was locked, for example, one of the
Temporary ASP.NET Files directories on my box is
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
Files\MyWebApp\6388c6b0\ce9860c7\assembly\dl2\ea01f56c\244a7780_fab0c301.
here the "MyWebApp" denotes a web application on my box.

There are many reasons that cause the lock on a Temporary ASP.NET Files
directory, for example, the Index Server
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329065 )

Please recycle the appropriate aspnet_wp.exe process and delete the
assembly under the appropriate Temporary ASP.NET Files directory.

I hope it helpls.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Alvin Bruney

Another easy approach is to turn off the indexing service if it is not being
used.
Regards

Joined
Mar 10, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Other solution

Hi,

I also ran into this problem. It occurred because I unzipped files using winrar to the application root. Winrar first unpacks files to the temp dir and then moves them to the final destination. When moving files, permissions are moved as well. So when I edited the security of the application root to replace the permission entries on all child objects, the problem was solved!

Kind regards,
Fokko.