access serial port from ASP.NET 2.0

leovg

Can I access the serial port (RS232) out of an ASP.NET 2.0 client form?

We are planning a barcode application where a barcode scanner delivers
input to an ASP.NET form via RS232.

Andrew Robinson

You can user the Serial Port Control (System.IO.Ports.SerialPort).

This control is on the standard toolbox pallet under Components. Only found
in VS2005 / v2.0.

-Andrew

Karl Seguin

From your description, it sounds like the barcode reader will be on the
client. ASP.Net merely renders HTML, you'll need something on the client to
read your serial port and populate the form, either a windows client, an
activex or a Java applet is my guess.

Karl

Andrew Robinson

Karl,

Good catch. I didn't pick up on the asp.net part. You could use a keyboard
wedge, but your ability to execute Function Keys is limited.

leovg

Thanks for your suggestions.

Indeed: the scanner is on the client.

A keyboard wedge is too limited. We want RS232.

A few days ago I read that ASP.NET 2.0 would have the possibility to
access the serial port (on the client side). Unfortunately I don't find
anything that backs that assertion.