Serial port comms with ASP.Net

Guest

Is there a way to duplicate the functionality of the old VB6 MsComm.ocx
control in an ASP.Net application? I just need to read barcode scanner input
data from the client PCs COM port. I know I could use a keyboard wedge
scanner but serial would be more controllable.

Any help much appreciated.

Jonathan

Guest

Thanks for the reply. This seems to be what I'm looking for. Sorry if this is
a bit basic but does this mean that .NET Framework 2.0 would have to be
installed on the client machines in order to use the System.IO.Ports class?

Jonathan Attree

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Yes, if you google for MsComm.ocx and asp.net or activex, you will find
it's been discussing a lot.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

Jonathan Attree said:
Is there a way to duplicate the functionality of the old VB6 MsComm.ocx
control in an ASP.Net application? I just need to read barcode scanner
input
data from the client PCs COM port. I know I could use a keyboard wedge
scanner but serial would be more controllable.

Any help much appreciated.

Jonathan

Eliyahu Goldin

Yes, if you google for MsComm.ocx and asp.net or activex, you will find
it's been discussing a lot.

Eliyahu Goldin

No. The client will have to agree to install a few ActiveX controls. I don't
have a practical experience with this particular one, but I do use another
ActiveX that works with VB6. The VB6 infrastructure gets installed first,
then the actual control. All this is performed automatically by the client
browser, the user just needs to confirm warnings. You may avoid the warnings
if you can instruct users to put your site in the trusted list.

--

Jonathan Attree said:
Is there a way to duplicate the functionality of the old VB6 MsComm.ocx
control in an ASP.Net application? I just need to read barcode scanner
input
data from the client PCs COM port. I know I could use a keyboard wedge
scanner but serial would be more controllable.

Any help much appreciated.

Jonathan

Guest

Thanks again. Are you saying that the only way to achieve this functionality
is to use the mscomm control or is there any other way in ASP.NET/VS 2005?

Jonathan Attree

Eliyahu Goldin said:
Yes, if you google for MsComm.ocx and asp.net or activex, you will find
it's been discussing a lot.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

message Is there a way to duplicate the functionality of the old VB6 MsComm.ocx
control in an ASP.Net application? I just need to read barcode scanner
input
data from the client PCs COM port. I know I could use a keyboard wedge
scanner but serial would be more controllable.

Any help much appreciated.

Jonathan

Eliyahu Goldin

I don't know. There could be other controls available. You need to shop for
one.

--

: