how to control serial port of client in asp.net?

Adrian Chen

please help me! I come across a problem.
Now I develop a finger print management system which is based on B/S.When
users click a button in the web pages, a device connected to the COM1 serial
port of the client machine starts to work.
Now I wrote the code which is in charge of serial communication in the
..aspx.cx pages, but then I found that when uses click the button, it is the
server's serial port that starts to work,not the clients!!

who can tell me how I could control the serial port communication in client
through asp.net?

I am very nervous about it now!

Thank you very much!!!

Adrian Chen

Mark Rae, thank you very much!

Mark Rae said:
Obviously - ASP.NET runs on the server, not the client...

You have no chance whatsoever of doing this natively. All modern browsers
are designed specifically to prevent this sort of interaction with the
hardware / software on which the client browser is installed and running.

Your only option would be to use an ActiveX control. However, this would
restrict the browser to IE, and would mean that you will need to ramp the
browser security right down just to get it to work. I can't recommend this
at all.