Access Web Service SOAP envelope from Filter Servlet

Mike

I've written a web service using WebSphere Studio 5.1. I would like to
programmatically access the contents of the incoming SOAP envelope with
a Filter Servlet before the request reaches the web service. My
motivation for doing this is that I would like to put custom attributes
into the SOAP Header. These will be processed by the Filter Servlet,
rather than the web service.

Evidently, I can't reset the InputStream that I get from the
ServletRequest argument to the doFilter() method - so I can't read the
stream and obtain a String representation of the SOAP envelope. Is
there a way to cast or copy the ServletInputStream to another type of
object that will allow me to obtain the contents of the SOAP envelope?
If not, is there an alternative approach to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks in advance.