Accessing a .NET 2 webservice from a .NET1 client

Accomplice

Greetings!

I am trying to access a webservice developed in MS .NET Framework 2
from a .NET 1.1 client. The service works fine when I access it on my
local server. However, once it has been published to the remote web
server the following occurs:

1. It takes a long time to actually locate the service. It is
instantaneous in IE or Firefox
2. The webmethods are listed but the Add Reference button is disabled

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Alternatively, is there a way
to wrap the service in a class that can be used by a .NET 1.1 client.

Thanks in advance.