ADAM & AzMan with ASP.NET 2.0

James Coleman

After quite some time of troubleshooting, searching the web and posting to
newsgroups, I have finally managed to use the
ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider and the AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider.

The issue I am running into now however is I can not get the two to work
together. So I can Authenticate John Doe against ADAM and I can create roles
in the AzMan store but I can't check to see if John Doe belongs to an AzMan
role. So the below code blows up:

Roles.IsUserInRole("TestRole")

And if I try to use the ASP.NET web site administration tool I can add users
and add roles but I can't check to see what roles a user has or what users
belong to what role without it crashing.

Screen shots and the sample project are located here:
http://www.msu.edu/~colema18/AdamRoles.zip

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~James

DeadOnArrival

Autorization manager was made for use with windows users and windows logon.
When you're users are in ADAM, the AuthorizationStoreRoleProvider fails to
add them to groups for some reason (I guess they're missing some sort of
authentication token). To solve this problem you need to implement your own
RoleProvider. Luckily it isn't much work. I suggest you start by looking here:
http://www.oftedal.no/~erlend/?blogid=8