add menu item to context (right-click) menu?

lcplben

Hi everybody --

I'd like to add a choice to the context menu for an element. That
choice might be "Hide this table column" or "Show attributes for this
element," for example.

I don't want to replace the whole very-useful context menu, but only
to augment the thing.

Can someone tell me (1) if this is possible and (2) if so, where is an
example?

This question has appeared in this group four or five times up to a
couple of years ago, but never answered; perhaps by now an answer has
surfaced. And it's not in the FAQ.

Thanks!

-- ben

Martin Honnen

lcplben said:
I'd like to add a choice to the context menu for an element. That
choice might be "Hide this table column" or "Show attributes for this
element," for example.

I don't want to replace the whole very-useful context menu, but only
to augment the thing.

Can someone tell me (1) if this is possible and (2) if so, where is an
example?

If you write a Mozilla/Firefox extension with XUL and JavaScript then
your extension can add items to the context menu. Other browsers may
have different mechanism.

But if you use script in a HTML document loaded in a browser window then
your script can't change the context menu the browser pops up.

Garrett Smith

lcplben said:
Hi everybody --

I'd like to add a choice to the context menu for an element. That
choice might be "Hide this table column" or "Show attributes for this
element," for example.

I don't want to replace the whole very-useful context menu, but only
to augment the thing.

Can someone tell me (1) if this is possible and (2) if so, where is an
example?
Not possible.

The context menu can be prevented in some browsers.

Where it can be prevented, an element, such as DIV or LI can be
shown instead.