FAQ Topic - How do I suppress a context menu (right-click menu)? (2012-02-22)

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by FAQ server, Feb 22, 2012.

  1. FAQ server

    FAQ server Guest

    FAQ Topic - How do I suppress a context menu (right-click
    menu)?

    A context menu, often triggered by right-click, can be requested by the
    user in a few ways. For example, on windows, shift + F10 and on macs,
    click-and-hold. Other input devices exist and mouse buttons can be
    configured, making the term "right click" a misnomer, in context.

    In browsers that allow it, a script can suppress the context menu by
    returning false from an object's `oncontextmenu` event handler.

    document.oncontextmenu = function() {
    return false;
    };

    Some browsers lack context menus (e.g. iphone). Browsers that have
    context menus do not always have a scriptable event for them. Some
    browsers can be configured to disallow scripts from detecting context
    menu events (IE, Opera); others may fire the event but be configured to
    disallow scripts from suppressing the context menu (Firefox,Seamonkey).

    Even when the context menu has been suppressed, it will still be
    possible to view/save the source code and to save images.

    The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
    http://jibbering.com/faq/

    --

    The sendings of these daily posts are proficiently hosted
    by http://www.pair.com.

    FAQ server, Feb 22, 2012