Adding a Dataset to the viewstate

Craig G

is it a wise idea??

the dataset would only be one table (2 columns), but it might have upto 1800
records

other possibilites would be to write an XML file on the server but there
might be upto 100 users using system which would mean the possibility of
upto 100 XML files

or just hit the database and repopulate the dataset each time

what would be the best option? its an intranet based system

Cheers,
Craig

Scott Allen

In this scenario I'd generally favor keeping the object in the Cache.

Using XML files can be very messy - it's easy to have a file locked
when you want to read or delete it.

As for Viewstate, you could always enable the Trace for a page and
take a look at how many bytes you are adding to the response. Since it
is an intranet app you'll have a higher threshold of pain, but watch
the byte count. It's hard to say or yay or nay without doing some
measurements first.