Adding a dll to an ASP.NET application

Eric

Hello,

I have an application that's a mix of classic ASP and ASP.NET running
on Windows server 2003.

I have a couple other dlls that are strongly named and are entered in
the GAC. For those I have entries in the web.config as well.

My problem file is not strongly named. It by default lives in a dll
folder. I tried copying it to the wwwroot\bin folder, but I'm still
getting errors when I try to instantiate it from within a .NET code
behind.

Locally we've added a reference to it in our localhost.sln file and it
works fine. When I add the reference it creates a copy of the dll and
a dll.refresh file that points to the original copy of the dll. I
can't figure out why it's working on my development machine and not in
my control environment. I also created a dll.refresh file that
contains the path of the original, but it's still not working.

Any idea what else is going on when I add a reference to the dll in
the VS.NET ide?

-Eric

bruce barker

when you add a reference to a dll, vs copies it to the bin folder. when
you deploy, you need to include the bin folder, as this is the only
place asp.net looks beside the gac and the .net bin folder

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Eric

when you add a reference to a dll, vs copies it to the bin folder. when
you deploy, you need to include the bin folder, as this is the only
place asp.net looks beside the gac and the .net bin folder

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

But I have the file and the .dll.refresh file in the bin directory and
it's not working...

-Eric

Laurent Bugnion, MVP

Hi,
But I have the file and the .dll.refresh file in the bin directory and
it's not working...

-Eric

Do the versions match? Make sure that the version of the DLL on your
development machine matches the version on the deployment machine. When
..NET tries to load a DLL, it looks in the bin folder and tries to find a
DLL with the same name and the same version. That might explain the error.

HTH,
Laurent