Adding Emoticons to ASP.NET Chat application that uses Remote Scripting

JM

Hi,

I made an ASP.NET chat application using remote scripting, so that the
entire page does not refresh when new messages arrive. The client-side
has a timer that accepts new messages every 5 seconds. All it does is
concatenate the new message to the existing chat message string. Now I
want to add emoticons just like MSN and Yahoo! Messenger. Can you guys
please give me an idea on how to make this work? Is it possible to
integrate graphics to string on Javascript?

Thanks,

JM

Mr Newbie

You could encode the graphic in say Base64 or whatever and concatenate this
to your message,and then decode. However, I would rather suggest that a more
sensible way to do this is to concatenate a code string which correspends to
the appropiate graphic and have your application interpret this on render.