Advice needed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jack, Feb 12, 2008.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Hi there,

    This might be a little off-topic but I'm currently in the process of
    starting my own web site and need some simple advice only. I'm currently
    looking for a web hosting provider and since ASP.NET isn't supported by all
    providers, I'm seeking advice as to how I should proceed. My site will be
    very simple and will require a few web pages only. I have a single
    application available for download and will be using PayPal as the payment
    provider (unless someone has a better suggestion). Note that I'm new to all
    this (web design and PayPal) but I'm otherwise a very experienced developer
    (many years in C++ and a couple of solid years in C#). The question is,
    should I find a web hosting provider that supports ASP.NET or can I simply
    find one that supports PHP and/or Perl (which most do). I have no experience
    in any of these right now so will have some learning to do. The amount of
    programming/scripting should be relatively little however. I need to contact
    PayPal when a customer clicks the Buy button and will have to send my
    customer a license key once payment is confirmed (any advice on this?).
    Sending the license key needs to be automated and I need to retain the sales
    info (email address in particular) so I can re-send the license key if a
    customer later requests it (does PayPal retain this info BTW so I can get it
    from them?). Can this be easily done with PHP or Perl (and which would be
    recommended) or should I rely on ASP.NET instead? Any advice would be
    welcome. Thanks.

    Jack, Feb 12, 2008

  2. Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Feb 13, 2008

  3. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Everything you describe can be easily done via ASP.NET. Unless you feel
    Thanks for the feedback. You're probably right. After spending several hours
    learning the basics of PHP yesterday, my feeling is that ASP.NET has to be
    cleaner. I'll dig into that today to find out but I'm sure that is. It's
    unfortunate that ASP.NET providers aren't nearly as widely supported however
    and typically more expensive. Any recommendations in that area? Price is
    really a secondary issue for me. Thanks again.

    Jack, Feb 13, 2008