Advice please. frames, iFrames, other or none.

Me

Hi All,
I'm after some advice please. I am in the process of creating a small
website (around 10 pages) and I would like a navigation bar to the left.
This bar may also have 'sub-menus'. Now, I haven't coded in HTML for many,
many years but one thing I do remember is to avoid 'frames' at all costs.

I'd imagine that the same is still true, but there appears to be another
type of frame, the 'IFrame'. Does the same rule apply for this? If so, what
would your suggestion be for creating a page with a header, Navigation bar?

I have had a go with iframes, with very little success
(http://www.hewish.myby.co.uk/test/).

All feedback welcome.

Many thanks in advance

dorayme

"Me said:
I'm after some advice please. I am in the process of creating a small
website (around 10 pages) and I would like a navigation bar to the left.

Take a look at

<http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=TwoColumnLayouts>

and see what you fancy.

Go through some tutes at

<http://htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/>

You could start with:

HTML:

<ul>
<li>A list item</li>
<li>A list item</li>
<li>A list item</li>
</ul>
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Duis ornare
ultricies libero. Donec fringilla, eros at dapibus fermentum, tellus
tellus auctor erat, vitae porta magna libero sed libero. Mauris sed leo.
Aliquam aliquam. Maecenas vestibulum.

with CSS:

..menu {
float: left;
width: 8em;
border-right: 1px solid;
}
..content {margin-left: 9em;}

ul {margin-top: 0;}

and get fancy later.

Andy Dingley

one thing I do remember is to avoid 'frames' at all costs.

I'd imagine that the same is still true, but there appears to be another
type of frame, the 'IFrame'. Does the same rule apply for this?

Mostly. Avoid anyway.

You have a couple of problems to solve:

* How to arrange your menu, particularly how to place in into the
leftmost column

* How to avoid having to type the same code into every page.

Solve the first with CSS. Try BlueRobot or Glish.com for example 3
column layouts for starters. Search this newsgroup or c.i.w.a.h /
c.i.w.a.s for recommendations on books or tutorials.

Solve the second with SSI, which is again an easily searched term.

Me

Andy Dingley said:
Mostly. Avoid anyway.

You have a couple of problems to solve:

* How to arrange your menu, particularly how to place in into the
leftmost column

* How to avoid having to type the same code into every page.

Solve the first with CSS. Try BlueRobot or Glish.com for example 3
column layouts for starters. Search this newsgroup or c.i.w.a.h /
c.i.w.a.s for recommendations on books or tutorials.

Solve the second with SSI, which is again an easily searched term.

Thanks to all for your help, I'm now attempting to learn CSS. It does not
seem too bad. Once I have my head around that, then i'll take on the task of
working out what to do about the menus.

Again, thanks to all who responded

Adrienne Boswell

Thanks to all for your help, I'm now attempting to learn CSS. It does
not seem too bad. Once I have my head around that, then i'll take on
the task of working out what to do about the menus.

SSI is even easier than CSS, it is almost the same thing as frames, but
not nearly as complicated. You take a snippet of markup (say your
navigation), save it as another document, and _include_ that document in
your main document, eg:

<?php include "nav_inc.php" ?>
Your content here.
<?php include "footer_inc.php" ?>

Where nav_inc.php might be:
<ul>
</ul>

And footer_inc.php could be:

dorayme

Andy Dingley said:
* How to avoid having to type the same code into every page.

Solve the first with CSS. Try BlueRobot or Glish.com for example 3
column layouts for starters. Search this newsgroup or c.i.w.a.h /
c.i.w.a.s for recommendations on books or tutorials.

Solve the second with SSI, which is again an easily searched term.

Solve the second by repeating the code on all 10 pages. That is the
correct solution for you at the moment because you have a lot of more
important things to learn.

Roy A.

Thanks to all for your help, I'm now attempting to learn CSS. It does not
seem too bad. Once I have my head around that, then i'll take on the task of
working out what to do about the menus.

The best thing, after you have turned your head around is to install a
web-server (for testing)
on your own desktop. Most people use Apache, and maybe PHP. Even on a
Windows platform.
Some use Perl, .net or something else. But the free option that is
most useed, and special designed
for netapplications is PHP. I wouldn't go for a "Novell-Microsoft: How
many times can you sell your soul?"-deal.
Just use a plain php installation from php.net.