age of Python programmers

Lucas Raab

One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

Gerrit Muller

Most Python programmers I know are 40+. I am myself 47 (born in december
1956).

regards Gerrit

P.S.,

how many teeners are still programming? Most teeners I know build
websites, but they don't program.

Jeremy Jones

Lucas said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....
Is this a marketing survey?

age: 31
marital status: married - have 1 wife
parental status: 2 children
canine status: have 1 dog
feline status: 1 cat
employment status: (very) thankfully have a (good) job
automobile status: 2 cars
sanity status: nearly none

Jeremy

Lucas Raab

I myself am only 14. I've been programming for two years with Python. I've
tried C++, but found it a pain in the area that Preparation H fixes. I got
started programming with Python as a result of a 4-H computer science
project. I was looking for a free, easy to learn language and happily found
it with Python. I'm currently interested in the network-centered areas of
Python.

Peter Hansen

Lucas said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer??

My average age has been increasing steadily for years. :-(

Will McGugan

Lucas said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

I have reached the grand old age of 30.

I think C++ has prematurely aged me, so Im hoping Python can roll back
the clock.

Will McGugan

Christopher T King

One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

I'm 19. The only other Python programmer I know personally is 21.
Congrats on discovering Python at 14; back then I thought VB was a godsend. ;)

Marcin Jurczuk

One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....
26 ..today ...a hell ...

Mark Jackson

Lucas Raab said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

55. Wrote my first program at 16 (Fortran, punch cards).

Mike C. Fletcher

Lucas said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....
It's going to take a long time if we all just give single numbers.

From what I've seen at PyCon and PyGTA (and I *suck* at guessing ages,
btw), there is a large population lump in the late teens and early
twenties among the Twisted developers. IIRC there was actually a PyCon
survey that might have this information with *real* numbers. Theres a
good little bump among the scientific and core-dev peoples for late
forties and above (maybe those careers keep you flexible enough to try
new things? Maybe the projects are experimental enough that using a
"new" language isn't a problem?)

Beyond those groups, I would guess the average is in the early
thirties/late twenties, with most of the bulk from 25-ish through
33-ish. Of course, the "casual" Python programmer isn't likely to show
up to *any* Python-related event, and there are likely more of them than
those of us who've drunk the kool-aid. And as I mentioned before, I
suck at guessing ages...

It's so much more efficient to just make up the statistics.
Mike

Mike C. Fletcher
Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
http://www.vrplumber.com
http://blog.vrplumber.com

Skip Montanaro

Christopher> I'm 19. The only other Python programmer I know personally
Christopher> is 21. Congrats on discovering Python at 14; back then I
Christopher> thought VB was a godsend. ;)

Whippersnapper... At 14 I would have thought a computer was a godsend. ;-)

(I'm 50, btw.)

Skip

Dave Opstad

"Lucas Raab said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

I'm 50, and have been programming since LBJ was in the White House.
Python is a real breath of fresh air, and I'm delighted that my employer
is letting me use it for essentially all my work.

Python fits my brain.

Dave

OKB (not okblacke)

Gerrit said:
how many teeners are still programming? Most teeners I know build
websites, but they don't program.

I turned 20 about 6 months ago and I've been goofing around with
Python for about 2 years. I'd also been programming in other languages
(like Basic :) for a long time before that.

--
--OKB (not okblacke)
Brendan Barnwell

Adonis

Lucas Raab said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

23

Peter Hickman

Lucas said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

43 (20 years a programmer).

Axel Steiner

One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

22....started programming with 15 (Perl) ...

--
$|=1;@a=(a..z,' ','!',"\n");@n=(9,20,19,27,20,15,1,19,20,5,4,28,
29);for($i=10;$i>0;$i--){print$i;sleep(1);for("\b",' ',"\b")

PGP-Fingerprint: 34A0 EF34 5033 14BE B7C3 D857 6FBD 9AE5 7C09 6C6A