age of Python programmers

Oliver Fromme

Peter Hansen said:

> 23! ... freakin' weird little machine that was... :)

It was 22 characters per row, and 23 rows on the screen.
The little thing didn't even have a graphics mode, though
you could fake it by modifying the pixel definition of the
character set.

I used to have a VIC-20 with a 40 Kbyte (not Mbyte) memory
extension. Those 40 Kbyte costed 200 DEM at that time;
roughly 100 $US. I don't dare to calculate the price
factor relative to today's RAM modules ...

Of course, I used the built-in BASIC, and very soon also
used 6502 machine code. Yes, machine code, no assembly
language, not even a hex monitor. I wrote the instructions
on paper, then looked up the opcodes in a 6502 CPU table,
then converted the hex/binary numbers back to decimal and
entered them into BASIC "data" statements. If the CPU
hung when running it, reboot (which took only 2 seconds)
and re-check the paper work ... Oh joy.

I could go on writing memories for hours, but I'll stop
here because it's completely off-topic already. :)

Now, 20 years later, Python is my language of choice.
If it just supported strong typing, it would be perfect.

Best regards
Oliver

Clark C. Evans

Just about average I guess.... 35 very soon

94
| mean: 35.4
| standard deviation: 12.6

Fred Allen

Sigh...I have programmed professionally in many languages since 1956,
the year I began with IBM 704 and 705 absolute(not quite assembler). I
have been a Python enthusiast for several years now, Regrettably, I
program little now, for my other company responsibilities forbid it.
Moreover, I'll be seventy next year; I seem slightly less quick at
coding than in my salad days...happily, I'm surrounded by others still
in theirs. I hope that all laboring in the vineyards of ones and zeros
gain as much joy from their careers as I have (and still do) from
mine.

Fred Allen

Andreas Pauley

Lucas said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

I'm 25, using Python mostly for sysadmin work at the moment, and expanding
my skills to use it for OO system development as well.

Andreas Pauley

Bruce Peterson

Lucas Raab said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....
57 -- I guess I'm on the right side of the curve. I started programming with Fortran 2 back in
high school. I regard programming as a way to make tools to do what I want -- so I've never
regarded myself as a professional programmer. I've written a lot of code because it's been
easier to program a computer to do a task than to train a human.
I ran into Python about 2 years ago when I was looking for an easy way to do data animation.
Python's ability to easily implement complex data structures sold me.

John W. Hall

59

Is "the age of Python programmers" anything like
"The Age of Aquarius"? (i.e. The Dawning of)

Ravi Teja Bhupatiraju

Lucas Raab said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

27. Started at 15 (with a rather late acquired TRS-80).

AdSR

Lucas Raab said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

32 here. I discovered Python in early 2003 thanks to Bruce Eckel's
mention of it in "Thinking in Java" (something like "becoming my
favorite programming language"). No opportunity to use it as my main
programming language so far but I use it for helper tools and for
personal stuff.

AdSR

Martin Franklin

One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
about....

I'm 31 I've been _using_ since 1999 my first post to this new group was
in 2000. Python is my first real programming language (a little bit of
basic on the Spectrum 48 (k!) bbc basic at upper school (13-16)

I've since learned Java and C# - my main language is still Python

waiting-for-the-decorator-discussion-to-stop-ly

Martin

Brian Almond

Lucas Raab said:
One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
Python programmer??

31 here. I started experimenting with code when I was pretty young.
Started out on my father's IMSAI 8080 (which moved into my room when
we got our first IBM PC :). Python got my attention around the time
the DDJ issue came out with Guido & Larry Wall on the cover.

Jim Sizelove

I just turned 38 a few days ago. Fell in love with programming in Basic
on an Apple ][ when I was about 15. My interests went in other
directions during college (Philosophy, Religion, Peace and Global
Studies), and then other directions in my career (desktop publishing,
metal machining for the automotive industry).

I have gotten back into serious programming in the last five or six
years, using VB in my work, but dabbling in C, C++, Lisp, Java, Perl.
But Python has become my language of choice in the past several months.

Jim Sizelove

Steve Allgood

I'm 36.

I use it for web scripts. I love the simplicity of the syntax and the
power of the language.

~Steve Allgood