AJAX extended radiobuttonlist unselects selected value in popup

SAL

hello,
I'm using a radiobuttonlist in an updatepanel in an item template in a
Gridview control. I'm populating the radiobuttonlist in the RowDataBound
event. I have the control toolkit registered in the page and I've got code
to get the selected value from it in the
Radiobuttonlist_SelectedIndexChanged event.
The code in there is:

Protected Sub rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal
e As System.EventArgs)
If Not (String.IsNullOrEmpty(rblFMSValue.SelectedValue)) Then
Dim s As String = rblFMSValue.SelectedValue
Dim pos As Integer = s.IndexOf(": ")
s = s.Substring(pos + 2)
PopupControlExtender.GetProxyForCurrentPopup(Me.Page).Commit(s)
End If
End Sub

But, when the code block get executed, the SelectedValue of the RBL is
always an empty string so the code within the if block never executes. It
never dismisses the popup after the user selects an item and unselects the
item selected (from the user's point of view). I have the Autopostback
property set to True and the EnableViewState property set to True. What
could the issue be?

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

As you said:
I'm populating the radiobuttonlist in the RowDataBound event
Could you tell me how do you do this? Is the RadioButtonList control
defined in the aspx or created dynamically in the RowDataBound event
handler?
In addition, where do you add the event handler? Please note if it's done
in the RowDataBound event handler the SelectedIndexChanged event handler
will not fire because RowDataBound event doesn't fire on postback (if
you're using DataSource control or bind the GridView on the first page
load, and not call GridView.DataBind() method on postback explicitly). Thus
the SelectedIndexChanged event handler is not attached to the
RadioButtonList control and will not fire at all.

If my guess above is correct you can attach the event handler in the inline
code
<asp:RadioButtonList AutoPostBack="true" ID="RadioButtonList1"
runat="server"
onselectedindexchanged="rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged">

If my guess is wrong please send me a demo project that can reproduce this
problem. I'll have a look and investigate.

Regards,
Allen Chen

--------------------
| From: "SAL" <[email protected]>
| Subject: AJAX extended radiobuttonlist unselects selected value in popup
| Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:11:09 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| hello,
| I'm using a radiobuttonlist in an updatepanel in an item template in a
| Gridview control. I'm populating the radiobuttonlist in the RowDataBound
| event. I have the control toolkit registered in the page and I've got
code
| to get the selected value from it in the
| Radiobuttonlist_SelectedIndexChanged event.
| The code in there is:
|
| Protected Sub rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object,
ByVal
| e As System.EventArgs)
| If Not (String.IsNullOrEmpty(rblFMSValue.SelectedValue)) Then
| Dim s As String = rblFMSValue.SelectedValue
| Dim pos As Integer = s.IndexOf(": ")
| s = s.Substring(pos + 2)
| PopupControlExtender.GetProxyForCurrentPopup(Me.Page).Commit(s)
| End If
| End Sub
|
| But, when the code block get executed, the SelectedValue of the RBL is
| always an empty string so the code within the if block never executes. It
| never dismisses the popup after the user selects an item and unselects
the
| item selected (from the user's point of view). I have the Autopostback
| property set to True and the EnableViewState property set to True. What
| could the issue be?

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

As you said:
I'm populating the radiobuttonlist in the RowDataBound event
Could you tell me how do you do this? Is the RadioButtonList control
defined in the aspx or created dynamically in the RowDataBound event
handler?
In addition, where do you add the event handler? Please note if it's done
in the RowDataBound event handler the SelectedIndexChanged event handler
will not fire because RowDataBound event doesn't fire on postback (if
you're using DataSource control or bind the GridView on the first page
load, and not call GridView.DataBind() method on postback explicitly). Thus
the SelectedIndexChanged event handler is not attached to the
RadioButtonList control and will not fire at all.

If my guess above is correct you can attach the event handler in the inline
code
<asp:RadioButtonList AutoPostBack="true" ID="RadioButtonList1"
runat="server"
onselectedindexchanged="rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged">

If my guess is wrong please send me a demo project that can reproduce this
problem. I'll have a look and investigate.

Regards,
Allen Chen

--------------------
| From: "SAL" <[email protected]>
| Subject: AJAX extended radiobuttonlist unselects selected value in popup
| Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:11:09 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| hello,
| I'm using a radiobuttonlist in an updatepanel in an item template in a
| Gridview control. I'm populating the radiobuttonlist in the RowDataBound
| event. I have the control toolkit registered in the page and I've got
code
| to get the selected value from it in the
| Radiobuttonlist_SelectedIndexChanged event.
| The code in there is:
|
| Protected Sub rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object,
ByVal
| e As System.EventArgs)
| If Not (String.IsNullOrEmpty(rblFMSValue.SelectedValue)) Then
| Dim s As String = rblFMSValue.SelectedValue
| Dim pos As Integer = s.IndexOf(": ")
| s = s.Substring(pos + 2)
| PopupControlExtender.GetProxyForCurrentPopup(Me.Page).Commit(s)
| End If
| End Sub
|
| But, when the code block get executed, the SelectedValue of the RBL is
| always an empty string so the code within the if block never executes. It
| never dismisses the popup after the user selects an item and unselects
the
| item selected (from the user's point of view). I have the Autopostback
| property set to True and the EnableViewState property set to True. What
| could the issue be?

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

Have you solved this problem?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support
--------------------
| From: "SAL" <[email protected]>
| Subject: AJAX extended radiobuttonlist unselects selected value in popup
| Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:11:09 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| hello,
| I'm using a radiobuttonlist in an updatepanel in an item template in a
| Gridview control. I'm populating the radiobuttonlist in the RowDataBound
| event. I have the control toolkit registered in the page and I've got
code
| to get the selected value from it in the
| Radiobuttonlist_SelectedIndexChanged event.
| The code in there is:
|
| Protected Sub rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object,
ByVal
| e As System.EventArgs)
| If Not (String.IsNullOrEmpty(rblFMSValue.SelectedValue)) Then
| Dim s As String = rblFMSValue.SelectedValue
| Dim pos As Integer = s.IndexOf(": ")
| s = s.Substring(pos + 2)
| PopupControlExtender.GetProxyForCurrentPopup(Me.Page).Commit(s)
| End If
| End Sub
|
| But, when the code block get executed, the SelectedValue of the RBL is
| always an empty string so the code within the if block never executes. It
| never dismisses the popup after the user selects an item and unselects
the
| item selected (from the user's point of view). I have the Autopostback
| property set to True and the EnableViewState property set to True. What
| could the issue be?

SAL

Actually, I gave up on it since our company is still on IE6 and I can't
force an upgrade. So, until we get to IE 7, it doesn't look like I can do
much AJAX.

SAL

Hi Allen, I had the radiobuttonlist defined in the page as such along with
the event handler:
<asp:panel ID="panFMSValue" runat="server" CssClass="popupControl">
<asp:UpdatePanel ID="upFMSValue" runat="server"
UpdateMode="Conditional">
<ContentTemplate>
<asp:RadioButtonList
ID="rblFMSValue" runat="server"
AutoPostBack="true"
OnSelectedIndexChanged="rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged"
Width="144px" />
</ContentTemplate>
</asp:UpdatePanel>
</asp:panel>
<ajax:popupControlExtender ID="PopupControlExtender1"
runat="server"
TargetControlID="txtFMSValue"
PopupControlID="panFMSValue" CommitProperty="value"
CommitScript="e.value;" EnableViewState="False">
</ajax:popupControlExtender>

However, I did, regrettably, forgo this approach due to the AJAX/IE6
incompatibilities.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry to hear that. Are there any incompatibility issues you met with
other than the combobox&other elements overlay issue? The overlay issue, I
think, can be worked around by expanding the width of the column of the

If you decide to use AJAX again please feel free to ask questions here. I'm
willing to work with you to solve any problems.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support
--------------------
> [...]
| > will not fire because RowDataBound event doesn't fire on postback (if
| > you're using DataSource control or bind the GridView on the first page
| > load, and not call GridView.DataBind() method on postback explicitly).
| > Thus
| > the SelectedIndexChanged event handler is not attached to the
| > RadioButtonList control and will not fire at all.
| >
| > If my guess above is correct you can attach the event handler in the
| > inline
| > code
| > <asp:RadioButtonList AutoPostBack="true" ID="RadioButtonList1"
| > runat="server"
| > onselectedindexchanged="rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged">
| >
| > If my guess is wrong please send me a demo project that can reproduce
this
| > problem. I'll have a look and investigate.

| > |
| > | hello,
| > | I'm using a radiobuttonlist in an updatepanel in an item template in a
| > | Gridview control. I'm populating the radiobuttonlist in the
RowDataBound
| > | event. I have the control toolkit registered in the page and I've got
| > code
| > | to get the selected value from it in the
| > | Radiobuttonlist_SelectedIndexChanged event.
| > | The code in there is:
| > |
| > | Protected Sub rblFMSValue_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As Object,
| > ByVal
| > | e As System.EventArgs)
| > | If Not (String.IsNullOrEmpty(rblFMSValue.SelectedValue)) Then
| > | Dim s As String = rblFMSValue.SelectedValue
| > | Dim pos As Integer = s.IndexOf(": ")
| > | s = s.Substring(pos + 2)
| > |
PopupControlExtender.GetProxyForCurrentPopup(Me.Page).Commit(s)
| > | End If
| > | End Sub
| > |
| > | But, when the code block get executed, the SelectedValue of the RBL is
| > | always an empty string so the code within the if block never
executes.
| > It
| > | never dismisses the popup after the user selects an item and unselects
| > the
| > | item selected (from the user's point of view). I have the Autopostback
| > | property set to True and the EnableViewState property set to True.
What
| > | could the issue be?
| > |
| > |