Alternatives to WebUnit

Ben Finney

Howdy all,

In searching for tools to run automated regression tests against a Web
aplication, I found (amid a number of tools requiring non-free Java) the
WebUnit code:

<http://webunit.sourceforge.net/>

Unfortunately, the code is somewhat beta and doesn't seem to have been
updated since 02-Feb-2002. Does anyone know if this has been updated
since, or merged into some other project?

Alternatively, does anyone know a (preferably Python) tool for automated
regression testing of Web apps?

Diez B. Roggisch

Hi,
Unfortunately, the code is somewhat beta and doesn't seem to have been
updated since 02-Feb-2002. Does anyone know if this has been updated
since, or merged into some other project?

Alternatively, does anyone know a (preferably Python) tool for automated
regression testing of Web apps?

I stumbled over http://mechanicalcat.net/tech/webunit/ and found it quite
useful. I didn't compare the two of them - so you gotta see for yourself if
its better. I also don't know if its actively developed, but to be honest:
HTTP has been around for a while, and I don't expect a webunit module to
develop rapidly :)

Regards,

Diez

Wilk

Ben Finney said:
Howdy all,

In searching for tools to run automated regression tests against a Web
aplication, I found (amid a number of tools requiring non-free Java) the
WebUnit code:

<http://webunit.sourceforge.net/>

Unfortunately, the code is somewhat beta and doesn't seem to have been
updated since 02-Feb-2002. Does anyone know if this has been updated
since, or merged into some other project?

Alternatively, does anyone know a (preferably Python) tool for automated
regression testing of Web apps?

I use ClientForm and ClientCookies from http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/

Alan Kennedy

[Ben Finney wrote]
In searching for tools to run automated regression tests against a Web
aplication, I found (amid a number of tools requiring non-free Java) the
WebUnit code:

I don't understand why you don't like Java?

For those who might be interested, the following open-source java
tools do automated web testing.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/latka/
http://maxq.tigris.org/

Or you could roll your own using jython and Apache Commons HttpClient

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/

regards,

Ben Finney

[Ben Finney wrote]
a number of tools requiring non-free Java

I don't understand why you don't like Java?

Because, thanks to Sun's increasingly restrictive licensing, any
meaningfully modern version of the complete Java environment is
implemented as non-free software, as I alluded above.