ANN: Leo 4.1 beta 5: An outlining editor

Edward K. Ream

Leo 4.1 beta 5 is now available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/

For the first time in months there are no serious bugs outstanding.

Warning: By default Leo 4.1 creates .leo files that can not be read by older
versions of Leo.

Warning: Use the __wx_gui.py plugin with _extreme_ caution until further
notice:
bugs in this plugin could cause body text to be lost when changing nodes.

Beta 5:
* Leo runs in batch mode when invoked with --script aScriptFile.py
- Created "null gui" classes that do not write to the screen.
* Leo supports Unicode characters (e.g. Chinese) in path and file names.
* Fixed several long-standing bugs:
- Fixed several minor problems with the Extract Section and Import
commands.
- Fixed problem that prevent the Find panel from working on the Mac.
- Improved @url handling so that @url file:\\path\x.leo works properly.
- Improved support for @lineending platform.
- Leo honors outline/body pane ratio when opening .leo files.
- Leo now ensures that newly-opened windows fit entirely on the screen.
- Fixed a crasher when Undoing a Change All command when searching
headlines.
- Fixed other bugs resulting from the 4.1 reorg:
- Fixed problem loading plugins on Linux.
- Fixed crashers in the Extract Section and Extract commands.
- Fixed crasher when writing a file containing an undefined section.
- Removed duplicate bindings in popup menus.
- Made sure to show Leo's windows in wx gui plugin.

Beta 4:
* Allow @directives and section references when executing scripts!
- Fixed several "reorg" bugs, some of which affected plugins.
- More than one section reference may now appear on the same line.
- Use "utf-8" encoding for filenames under MacOS (Darwin)
- Allow command or cmnd prefix for menu shortcuts under Darwin.

Beta 3:
- Completed the reorg, making _many_ changes to the code base.
- Fixed a LaTeX coloring bug

Beta 2:
- Fixed a startup problem on Linux: the "mbcs" text encoding is not valid
on Linux.

Beta 1:
* New script-based find/change commands.
- Hoist & DeHoist commands for viewing parts of an outline.
- Check Outline command finds user clone mistakes.
* New configuration settings:
- use_gnx specifies whether .leo files use integers as indices:
use_gnx = 0 makes .leo files compatible with previous versions of Leo.
use_gnx = 1 makes .leo files cvs-friendly
- config_encoding specifies the encoding of leoConfig.txt.
* Several significant code-level changes:
- The 4.1 code base has been reorganized to support gui plugins.
- An example wx_gui plugin is partly functional.
- Created a flexible framework for creating & running regression tests.
- app.forceShutdown now works when called from plugins.

Quotes of the month
-------------------
"I like Leo more the more I use it...It's an unexpected pleasure to
see my (linearly written) code outlined in Leo. I can't wait to use
Leo to start a new project, going from outline to code...Thanks again
for providing the computing community with such a fine piece of
software." -- Jim Shapiro, Ph.D.

"If you think you have used all possible programmer's editors, but
have not yet tried Leo, you are wrong...I rate Leo as a 'must have'
for Python programmers. The code makes for a good read."
-- John Tobler http://weblogs.asp.net/Jtobler/

What is Leo?
------------
- A programmer's editor, an outlining editor and a flexible browser.
- A literate programming tool, compatible with noweb and CWEB.
- A data organizer and project manager. Leo provides multiple views
of projects within a single outline.
- Fully scriptable using Python. Leo saves its files in XML format.
- Portable. leo.py is 100% pure Python.
- Open Software, distributed under the Python License.

Leo requires Python 2.1 or above and tcl/tk 8.3 or above.
Leo works on Linux, Windows and MacOs X.

Links:
------
Home: http://sourceforge.net/projects/leo/
Download: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3458
CVS: http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=3458
Wiki: http://leo.hd1.org/

Edward K. Ream
December 5, 2003

Bengt Richter

Parsing ambiguity: Is that e-dream-leo or ed-ream-leo ? ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Edward K. Ream

Parsing ambiguity: Is that e-dream-leo or ed-ream-leo ? ;-)

Sometimes ambiguity is nice.

Edward

Edward K. Ream

For the first time in months there are no serious bugs outstanding.

I spoke too soon. There is an extremely serious bug that arises when
cutting from 3.x versions of Leo and pasting to 4.x versions of Leo. The
entire .leo file can get corrupted.

The workaround is to convert all .leo files to 4.1 format.

My apologies for this bug; it will be fixed in 4.1 beta 6, due in about a
week.

Edward

Edward K. Ream

There is an extremely serious bug that arises when
cutting from 3.x versions of Leo and pasting to 4.x versions of Leo.

Not quite. The reported problem occurred when pasting from 4.1 beta to
4.0.4. I suspect that the problem is in 4.0.4; I plan to retire 4.0.4 asap.
There is nothing I can do now to correct 4.0.4 except to urge people to
upgrade to 4.1 beta 5. There are no known serious bugs in 4.1 beta 5.

Because of the differences in file formats between 3.x, 4.0.x and 4.1,
cutting and pasting between .leo files created with different versions of
Leo is likely to be a bit risky. The safest course of action is to convert
all projects to 4.1 beta 5 before doing any cutting and pasting between Leo
files. You do this by saving the .leo file using 4.1 beta 5 or later.

In any event, I urge anyone using _any_ 4.x version of Leo to make full and
complete backups before doing any cutting and pasting from one .leo file to
another .leo file created by a _different_ version of Leo.

Edward