[ANN] minitest 1.3.0 Released

Ryan Davis

minitest version 1.3.0 has been released!

* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/bfts>

minitest/unit is a small and fast replacement for ruby's huge and slow
test/unit. This is meant to be clean and easy to use both as a regular
test writer and for language implementors that need a minimal set of
methods to bootstrap a working unit test suite.

mini/spec is a functionally complete spec engine.

mini/mock, by Steven Baker, is a beautifully tiny mock object framework.

(This package was called miniunit once upon a time)

Changes:

### 1.3.0 / 2008-10-09

* 2 major enhancements:

* renamed to minitest and pulled out test/unit compatibility.
* mini/test.rb is now minitest/unit.rb, everything else maps
directly.

* 12 minor enhancements:

* assert_match now checks that act can call =~ and converts exp to a
regexp only if needed.
* Added assert_send... seems useless to me tho.
* message now forces to string... ruby-core likes to pass classes
and arrays :(
* Added -v handling and switched to @verbose from $DEBUG.
* Verbose output now includes test class name and adds a sortable
running time!
* Switched message generation into procs for message deferment.
* Added skip and renamed fail to flunk.
* Improved output failure messages for assert_instance_of,
assert_kind_of
* Improved output for assert_respond_to, assert_same.
* at_exit now exits false instead of errors+failures.
* Made the tests happier and more readable imhfo.
* Switched index(s) == 0 to rindex(s, 0) on nobu's suggestion.
Faster.

* 5 bug fixes:

* 1.9: Added encoding normalization in mu_pp.
* 1.9: Fixed backtrace filtering (BTs are expanded now)
* Added back exception_details to assert_raises. DOH.
* Fixed shadowed variable in mock.rb
* Fixed stupid muscle memory message bug in assert_send.

* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/bfts>

Lin Jen-Shin

I am sorry, but I encounter a dependency problem.

"rfeedparser" depends on "character-encodings",
and "hpricot" would load 'encoding/character/utf-8' if
available through:

begin
require 'encoding/character/utf-8'
rescue LoadError
end

Then ::Encoding would be defined, and there's no
default_external in ::Encoding!

Err, do you mind check RUBY_VERSION? or
if Encoding.respond_to?:)default_external) or
something like that?

Thanks!

Ryan Davis

I am sorry, but I encounter a dependency problem.

"rfeedparser" depends on "character-encodings",
and "hpricot" would load 'encoding/character/utf-8' if
available through:

what does this have to do with minitest?

Lin Jen-Shin

what does this have to do with minitest?

in minitest-1.3.0/lib/minitest/unit.rb: 43

s =3D s.force_encoding(Encoding.default_external) if defined? Encoding

minitest called Encoding.default_external if
Encoding was defined, but if hpricot was required,
and character-encodings was installed, Encoding
would be defined even if there's no default_external.

My tests failed because there's no default_external in
Encoding.

Sorry for the noise if this was not an issue in trunk,
or you do think it should be fixed in character-encodings.

Thanks anyway.