ANN: POCO - C++ Portable Components License Change and Community Website

Guenter Obiltschnig

Hello all,

I am happy to announce that POCO (the C++ Portable Components) is now
under the Boost license, which makes it free for both open source and
commercial use (see http://www.boost.org/more/license_info.html for a
discussion of the Boost license).

Also, the new POCO Community Website is now online at
http://poco.appinf.com
This is the place to meet the POCO developers and to discuss all things
POCO.
Contributors are welcome!

About POCO:
POCO, the C++ Portable Components, is a collection of open source class
libraries that simplify and accelerate the development of
network-centric, portable applications in C++. The libraries integrate
perfectly with the C++ Standard Library and fill many of the functional
gaps left open by it. Their modular and efficient design and
implementation makes the C++ Portable Components extremely well suited
for embedded development, an area where the C++ programming language is
becoming increasingly popular, due to its suitability for both
low-level (device I/O, interrupt handlers, etc.) and high-level
object-oriented development.

For more information, please visit http://poco.appinf.com

Hope to meet you there,

Günter

--
Günter Obiltschnig Applied Informatics
(e-mail address removed) http://www.appinf.com

apm35

Guenter said:
POCO, the C++ Portable Components, is a collection of open source class
libraries that simplify and accelerate the development of
network-centric, portable applications in C++.

Just out of interest, I wonder why the recursive and non-recursive
mutexes are called Mutex and FastMutex respectively. It's not a big
deal but I would have expected them to be called RecursiveMutex and
Mutex respectively.

-Andrew Marlow

A Marlow

Hello all,

I am happy to announce that POCO (the C++ Portable Components) is now
under the Boost license, which makes it free for both open source and
commercial use (see http://www.boost.org/more/license_info.html for a
discussion of the Boost license).

Also, the new POCO Community Website is now online at
http://poco.appinf.com

IMO the web site could do with being a bit more friendly. That URL takes
you to the main page, not to where the discussions are happening. I
tried
the WIKI link but found several issues:

1) The WIKI demands that cookies are turned on. It also requires
scripting
to be enabled (the latter is not a big problem due to the per-site
script
control I have with firefox).

2) I could not register. It always claimed that the wrong registration
code was entered.

3) The WIKI pages seem very quiet indeed. Er, empty in fact.

This is a pity because POCO looks very good to me based on a first
glance.
It is up against some stiff competition of course. People will be
comparing it with stuff like Boost and ACE.

Regards,

Andrew Marlow

apm35

Guenter said:
POCO, the C++ Portable Components, is a collection of open source class
libraries that simplify and accelerate the development of
network-centric, portable applications in C++.
For more information, please visit http://poco.appinf.com

Pending a more friendly POCO website I will post my comments here,
which will hopefully be of interest to C++ people that have not moseyd
over there yet.

There is no such year as year zero. The year before 1 AD was 1 BC.
These are normally denoted as years 1 and -1 respectively. The POCO
DateTime does not seem to work this way. There also seem to be some
minor bugs in the dayOfWeek calculation for old dates. I am adding some
extra tests to the cppunit test for DateTime that will highlight the
issues I find. I would be interested to hear of any other issues people
may come across. This is not to detract from the usefulness of this
library. The DateTime class certainly seems a lot easier to use than
the equivalent stuff from Boost.

A Marlow

Pending a more friendly POCO website I will post my comments here,
which will hopefully be of interest to C++ people that have not moseyd
over there yet.

The POCO website is now open and the forums are available. I will be
making future comments on POCO there, this is just FYI because the website
was not fully up and running when the POCO announcement first came out...

-Andrew Marlow