[ANN] Ruby/Event 0.4.2 w/ Correct Scriptable Telnet

Zed A. Shaw

Hi Folks,

== Introduction ==

Once again, Ruby/Event is a C extension to Niels Provos' libevent. It has nothing to do with calendars and is about doing multiplexed I/O efficiently so that you can write fast as hell clients and servers. In addition Ruby/Event includes a nice little networking framework called Myriad which makes cranking out fast and correct servers easier. Myriad is used to implement a complete SCGI runner for Ruby on Rails as an alternative to FastSCGI.

Grab the goods at http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/ruby_event/

== This Release ==

This is a quick announce of 0.4.2 version of Ruby/Event which features this bit of work:

http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/ruby_event/examples/telnet.rb.html

Which is a fairly complete and correctly implemented telnet protocol implementation and a scripting component that lets you fire up a scripted telnet session. The given example is designed to show launching a large number of scripts simultaneously so that you can load a machine, but it doesn't need to be used that way.

An additional "interesting" thing is that the scripting is done in a weird way. Check this example script:

http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/ruby_event/examples/logins.tel.html

Which logs into a server, then uses that telnet to login a bunch more. You'll notice it's Ruby, but not quite Ruby with all these strange push/pop commands doing looping. This novelty was done by simply doing an eval on each line, and using a stack to keep track of lines. Might be interesting to some, a complete horror to others. :)

== Survey ==

What would people be interested in as the next protocol implemented with Myriad? I'm looking at either a correctly implemented HTTP server, SSL support, or something really odd I've been cooking up for a little while I want to call "The Anti-Bot Evil Protocol".

Any requests? Phone lines are open.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/

Clifford Heath

Zed said:
== Survey ==
What would people be interested in as the next protocol implemented with Myriad?
I'm looking at either a correctly implemented HTTP server, SSL support, or

Why do something that's already been done moderately thoroughly?
I'd vote for IMAP, client first then server.

Wilson Bilkovich

Hi Folks,
=20
=3D=3D Survey =3D=3D
=20
What would people be interested in as the next protocol implemented with =
Myriad? I'm looking at either a correctly implemented HTTP server, SSL sup=
port, or something really odd I've been cooking up for a little while I wan=
t to call "The Anti-Bot Evil Protocol".
=20
Any requests? Phone lines are open.

My personal vote would be for 3270E, with contention resolution. I'll
freely admit that I'm probably the only one voting for that, though.