ANNOUNCE: TimingAnalyzer version beta 0.85

timinganalyzer

Hello All,

A new version beta 0.85 is now available. The following changes and
additions have occurred.

1 Quickly add previously used Delays and Constraints from pop-up menu
2 The current state is inverted automatically when adding new pulse if
the newstate in the
toolbar is the same as the current state in the signal.
3 Keystroke shortcuts for all the signal state buttons in toolbar.
Hover over button to see keystrokes.
4 Signals can now use text values for next state. This is useful when
labels are needed in digital signals.
5 Moving text and edges by mouse drags now use undo and redo
6 Should work with JRE1.5 or newer

You can download the Free Edition now and read all about the
TimingAnalyzer at:

www.timing-diagrams.com

mahesh

Hello All,

A new version beta 0.85 is now available. The following changes and
additions have occurred.

1 Quickly add previously used Delays and Constraints from pop-up menu
2 The current state is inverted automatically when adding new pulse if
the newstate in the
toolbar is the same as the current state in the signal.
3 Keystroke shortcuts for all the signal state buttons in toolbar.
Hover over button to see keystrokes.
4 Signals can now use text values for next state. This is useful when
labels are needed in digital signals.
5 Moving text and edges by mouse drags now use undo and redo
6 Should work with JRE1.5 or newer

You can download the Free Edition now and read all about the
TimingAnalyzer at:

www.timing-diagrams.com

Hi,
I tried to install it on Vista Basic.But facing difficulty in
installing.I did install the JRE.when I run the timinganalyzer.jar exe
file It pops me a message saying main class not found exiting !!
Could u pls help me in fixing the problem ...ur help will be
appreciated

Thanks in advance,
hesh

Nial Stewart

Hi,
I tried to install it on Vista Basic.But facing difficulty in
installing.I did install the JRE.when I run the timinganalyzer.jar exe
file It pops me a message saying main class not found exiting !!
Could u pls help me in fixing the problem ...ur help will be
appreciated
Thanks in advance,
hesh

I had this when trying a previous release with a version of the JRE
that was to old. Dan say's he's changed things so it should work
with JRE1.5 or later, it might be worth trying with JRE1.6?

Dan?

Nial

timinganalyzer

Hi,
I tried to install it on Vista Basic.But facing difficulty in
installing.I did install the JRE.when I run the timinganalyzer.jar exe
file It pops me a message saying main class not found exiting !!
Could u pls help me in fixing the problem ...ur help will be
appreciated

Thanks in advance,
hesh

Can you tell what version of Java you are using? I have used beta
0.85
with JRE1.5.

If you bring up a dos window, enter

java -jar TimingAnalyzer.jar

This will report the OS, Java version, ....

Thanks, Dan

mahesh

Can you tell what version of Java you are using? I have used beta
0.85
with JRE1.5.

If you bring up a dos window, enter

java -jar TimingAnalyzer.jar

This will report the OS, Java version, ....

Thanks, Dan

Hi ,

I installed java version 1.6.0_06.but unable to run the
analyzer...pls do gimme ur inputs...

Thanks in advance,
hesh

timinganalyzer

Hi ,

I installed java version 1.6.0_06.but unable to run the
analyzer...pls do gimme ur inputs...

Thanks in advance,
hesh

Hello Hesh,

Maybe somehow the the zip file you downloaded was corrupted? The file
size is 5,170KB.
When you extract the zip file, you should see the directory structure
shown below

c:\Apps\TimingAnalyzer_bxx dir
TimingAnalyzer.jar -- The executable program
docs dir -- html help files required by
program
images dir -- images required by program
scripts dir -- user scripts
themes dir -- look and feel themes
pics dir -- saved images of example files
examples dir -- timing diagram example files
settings dir -- default and user
settings

If your extracted directory structure and the size the program looks
correct, then do
the following and let me know the results.

Open dos window.
cd to TimingAnalyzer_b85
java -jar TimingAnalyzer.jar

Copy the output shown in the dos window and send that to me.
Let me know how you make out.

Thanks,
Dan

mahesh

[...]

Dan- Hide quoted text -

Hi Dan,

I downloaded it again....got the issue fixed...
Thanks a lot for ur help,
hesh

rickman

I had this when trying a previous release with a version of the JRE
that was to old. Dan say's he's changed things so it should work
with JRE1.5 or later, it might be worth trying with JRE1.6?

I have to say I don't understand the need for Java. I get the idea
that it allows a single version of an application to run on many
different machines and OSs. But it never seems to work very well.
For one, most applications have a different look and feel than the
typical application on that machine. So the user still has to learn
new GUI details. But the big issue is that Java seems to always be
buggy! I have a friend who is very much behind Java and the typical
question about any Java problem is "do you have the most current
release"? The answer is always yes, but the fact that this is the
first question says to me that Java is still not stable and full of
bugs.

Am I missing something with Java? If it is not buggy, why does it
always seem to be messing up the windows it draws leaving shattered
pieces of glass lying around?

So what is the use of having a way to run an application on all
platforms if by "running" it means running very poorly?

Rick

timinganalyzer

[...]

Hi Rick,

Why didn't you follow up your message with that fact that the download
was corrupt as the OP said? Please be fair and constructive with any
criticisms , don't forget it is in beta testing now and not a final
release.

BTW, Java is being used by a lot of the big guys, Xilinx, Synopsys,
Mentor Graphics for CAD tools.
Actually, NASA used Java for parts of the mars rover and other CAD
type tools for analysis.

In my case, I have found that it is always something in the code that
is wrong but is easily fixed.
As a one man show, I hoping on feedback from users as beta testers to
help find the bugs or
features that need improvements. I just don't have the time to do it
all and need help testing.

But my goal is to make this program the easiest and best way to draw
timing diagrams, do timing
analysis, and document the results with publishing quality images.

So, please focus on the features of the program, not on the
language, and help me by recommending
improvements, new features, and testing.

Regards,
Dan

rickman

Hi Rick,

Why didn't you follow up your message with that fact that the download
was corrupt as the OP said? Please be fair and constructive with any
criticisms , don't forget it is in beta testing now and not a final
release.

I wasn't even talking about your program. I was talking about how so
many apps use Java and how it often doesn't seem to work well. I
think I explained my concerns in detail. The bottom line is that
although it seems to work much of the time, it is much, much less
reliable than code written for a given architecture. That may be more
work for developers if they want to support a wide range of
architectures, but in the end targeted code works well.

BTW, Java is being used by a lot of the big guys, Xilinx, Synopsys,
Mentor Graphics for CAD tools.
Actually, NASA used Java for parts of the mars rover and other CAD
type tools for analysis.

I won't argue that at all, in fact that is my point. It is used all
over the place and often works poorly. Every time I try to use it and
have problems I am told to upgrade to the latest version, even when I
*am* using the latest version. I just don't think Java is ready for
prime time or maybe it is a usage problem. Either way it has the same
result, poorly working apps.

In my case, I have found that it is always something in the code that
is wrong but is easily fixed.
As a one man show, I hoping on feedback from users as beta testers to
help find the bugs or
features that need improvements. I just don't have the time to do it
all and need help testing.

But my goal is to make this program the easiest and best way to draw
timing diagrams, do timing
analysis, and document the results with publishing quality images.

So, please focus on the features of the program, not on the
language, and help me by recommending
improvements, new features, and testing.

When I am discussing your program I try to give constructive
criticism. But I wasn't talking about your program. Rather I was
discussing the trend of using Java which is fairly buggy compared to
most architecture specific apps.

Rick