anonymous settings but getting prompted to login - why?

elsa

Hi,

I am running IIS on Windows XP Pro on a laptop and do not have a fixed
IP address (using DHCP, developing using localhost). I cannot get my
ASP.NET application to *not* perform authentication.

When I load my asp.net pages (.html files do not have this problem) I
am prompted to login, and if I click cancel, I get the 401.3 Access
Denied by ACL on resource error (this is in Mozilla, in IE it passes my
credentials thru).

(0) Anonymous is checked, Allow IIS to control password is checked, and
Integrated Windows Authentication is checked under Authentication
Methods in IIS admin on the web application directory.

(1) I have given the entire web application directory Full Control to
ASPNET, EVERYONE, and IUSR and it still prompts for a login.

(2) In web.config, it is set to:
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<authorization>
<allow users="*" />
</authorization>

I even tried changing to <authentication mode="None" /> but it didn't
make a difference.

(3) machine.config has default settings for authentication, same as on
my 2000 Server which works just fine.

Is there some other setting somewhere I am missing? Is it possible that
some files critical to the execution of ASP.NET do not have the correct
ACLs? Everything works fine on my 2000 Server, is there something
different about XP? I know many people who have this exact same
problem.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
-Elsa