Any other way besides multiple frames to show absolute address? Simple question!

David Dorward

I don't need two frames but I just want every page to show up as:

www.whatever.com/

Stop wanting that. It just makes like harder for users. They can still get
the real URL if they want it. (And search engines won't go directly to the
real page anyway)
I've noticed frames gets rid of the exact page you are on. We just
don't want people to know what page they are on

Why not?
and for cosmetic reasons.

Almost every site out there is quite happy to show the user the real URL.
Users' do not run screaming "Oh no! The URL is so ugly!".

Jose

Well, it's my boss............................

Part of the job of a web designer is to set their boss straight.

It's the hardest part. :)

Jose

?

__. ___ _. __.. ___

I don't need two frames but I just want every page to
show up as:

www.whatever.com/

right now it names all the pages of course:
www.whatever.com/index.html www.whatever.com/about.php

I've noticed frames gets rid of the exact page you are
on. We just don't want people to know what page they are
on and for cosmetic reasons.

Why don't you want the user to know where he is?
If he's dumb, you'll waste his time every time he wants to
come back on a particular page, perhaps pissing him off and
keeping him away.
If he's smart, your trick will be useless.

Wait, I got it! It's a method to try to select your viewers
and to have only smart people comng back!
:-D

Jonathan N. Little

Well, it's my boss............................
Would he want to read a book where he could not tell what page he was on?

One of the most useful addition to a web site is a site map so why would
to sabotage the visitor with obsfucation of the URL?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, (e-mail address removed) quothed:

A good site can be specifically-themed and unified enough to seem like
one big page even if composed of several separate pages. Perhaps your
boss is correct. One way around frames, however, is to use php (or
other ss scripting) with a small query string attached to the main (and
static) part of the url. This method allows for extensive and
"dynamic" content on 1 page.