Any web-based video chat client/server package?

Marek Zawadzki

Hi all,

Do you know about any (possibly free) client/server toolkit I could use
to embed simple video chat functionality into a website?
Something with a server I could set up (so I could stay independent from
3rd party services) and video chat clients that would show up in
people's browsers.

Maybe something like Flash Media Server (not free/os and I'm not sure if
this is what I need) and www.ashcast.org (free but I'm note sure if this
is a complete client/server toolkit or just the client).

Or are there any particular Java packages that could be used to
implement something like that? How would you estimate the difficulty of
doing that (just the basic features)?

Thanks for your help,

-marek

Ashtar

Hi Marek,

Both the client and the server packages for Ashcast are available from
Sourceforge. It's not really trivial to set up a server right now (the
client has some hard-coded Ashcast.org references that need to be
changed), but it's very much possible. Just recently I assisted in
setting up an Ashcast server on www.pop34.com.

Let me know if you need any help.

Regards,

Alex Kuiper