anyone knows how to resolve this problem?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by amynguyen26, Apr 15, 2009.

  1. amynguyen26

    amynguyen26 Guest

    I have a compiled C program (on UNIX) that this small business would
    like to try out. They don't want to pay for it yet. So I'm willing
    to let them use it for a month. If they like it, they can negotitate
    on the pricing, and if they don't want to use it, then, after 30 days,
    this program will stop working permanently.

    Here's the question:

    How can I make it work for a month only?

    1) If I write the code to see if the date is later than May 15, 2009,
    then, the C program stops. But the problem is that they can change
    the current date of their Linux or Solaris computer, say, back to
    January 1, 2009, and this program will run again. So I don't think
    this method will solve the problem.

    2) Or if I put a counter into a file somewhere on the computer. Say
    the counter will stop after this C program runs for the 100th time.
    The problem with this is that if they backed up the whole hard drive,
    they will likely back up that counter file. If they restore that file
    back, the counter might be only at 1, 2, etc. So, the software will
    run again. I don't think this method will solve the probem either.

    Any suggestions to solve this problem? Thanks.

    amynguyen26, Apr 15, 2009

  2. amynguyen26

    Guest Guest

    You might try getting them to sign a contract that they will not
    use the demo version after a certain date. At least you have some
    legal
    comeback if you can demonstrate they are in breach.

    You might consider a dongle-based solution. The contract could
    specify return of the dongle after a certain date.

    This, of course, adds to your up-front costs. You may not be able
    to afford dongles or legal costs.

    Guest, Apr 15, 2009

  3. amynguyen26

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Let the program get a validation code from your website.
    It stops when you stop supplying codes, and when they buy
    it , you supply the final activation code(by mail).
    That stops it from asking for codes.

    Sjouke Burry, Apr 15, 2009
  4. You cannot stop them from using your software after a month, only make
    it more difficult to some degree. Period.

    There is an entire industry niche dedicated to solving this problem and,
    to date, nobody has ever managed to pull it off in a way that can't be
    defeated, sooner or later, by motivated (or bored) hackers. Heck, the
    copy protection on Windows XP, designed by a multibillion dollar company
    with thousands of great programmers, was broken before it even went on sale!

    The "best current practices" for this problem are (a) to give them a
    trial version that is sufficient to test but crippled so that it cannot
    handle their full workload, or (b) to give them the full version after
    they sign a contract promising to pay for it if they're still using it
    after a certain date -- and then sue them if they breach it.

    Stephen Sprunk, Apr 15, 2009
  5. amynguyen26

    osmium Guest

    If they, in fact have, "thousands of great programmers", they aren't writing
    code for anything I use. They are going to conferences, making speeches,
    planning the future, scheduling vacations, giving raises, whatever.

    osmium, Apr 15, 2009
  6. amynguyen26

    Gene Guest

    I agree with others that say it's not possible.

    Shareware practice e.g. is merely to make the expiration mechanism
    more expensive to get around than the license fee. But you can always
    get around.

    One thought is to have your program phone home via Internet and fail
    to start if it can't make a required handshake with a service you
    provide. If you do this with a secure hash, one-use challenge and
    response, it won't be breakable by network sniffing. They would have
    to reverse engineer your executable.

    Gene, Apr 16, 2009
  7. Much less painful in these days of cheap VMs.

    Ben Bacarisse, Apr 17, 2009
  8. .... and all a cracker needs to do is patch one branch/jump/test/etc.
    instruction in the binary. Folks have been doing this to bypass
    "copy-protection" schemes on games for over a decade. Putting it online
    doesn't make it appreciably more difficult unless a critical part of the
    program's logic (i.e. not just a validation code) is on a server you
    control.

    Stephen Sprunk, Apr 18, 2009
  9. amynguyen26

    BartC Guest

    I had an application of which half was (custom) interpreted code. Any
    attempt to bypass a conditional jump in the latter would also bypass *all*
    conditional jumps, breaking the system. Single-stepping through the code
    wouldn't be too productive either. Not impossible to break but adding a
    useful extra layer.

    The copy-protection module was unique in that, while all others were
    updated, revised, simplified and improved, the copy-protection code was
    deliberately left to fester over years into a mess even I couldn't make head
    or tail of.

    BartC, Apr 18, 2009
  10. amynguyen26

    Kaz Kylheku Guest

    s/decade/quarter century/

    :)

    Kaz Kylheku, Apr 18, 2009
  11. amynguyen26

    BartC Guest

    It wasn't too bad. And the copy-protect stuff and nearly all user commands
    were interpreted in a virtual machine with bounds and other checks. And if
    there was en error, that specific module (ie. command) was terminated and
    the user could carry on and try something else.

    The point is, if I found it difficult to follow how the protection worked,
    even with source code, then hackers would find it even more difficult. Not
    that my application was 'sexy' enough for anyone to want to crack it.

    BartC, Apr 18, 2009
  12. That merely means that the cracker would need to learn your interpreted
    code and patch _that_. As with any copy-protection system, you're only
    making their job a little harder, not impossible.
    You're talking about guys that are used to reading assembly listings for
    gigantic programs and stepping through them in debuggers to find the
    exact patch necessary to bypass the copy protection checks without
    otherwise affecting the program; obfuscated or spaghetti source code
    (which has little bearing on what an optimizing compiler eventually
    emits) isn't going to stop them -- it just makes it tougher for the
    original programmers to maintain and improve to keep a step ahead of the
    crackers. Many companies even switch their entire copy protection
    method with every version to keep the crackers from reusing knowledge
    they gained cracking the last version.

    Stephen Sprunk, Apr 19, 2009
  13. amynguyen26

    Leo Guest

    The best way I think is never give any piece of code to them, unless you get
    paid.
    You can only provide a web service for a month.

    Leo, Apr 23, 2009