Anyone tried Arachno Ruby?

Robert Oschler

I'm considering taking a look at Arachno Ruby but I'd like to hear from some
of you that have tried it.

The only comments I can find on it via Google and Google Groups are from the
author.

Anyone given it a spin yet?

Thanks.

Robert.

Zach Dennis

I used it at the end of last year while it was in alpha and I liked where it
was going. It was in alpha, so it still had some quirks, but I liked it. If
I remember correctly it did wonders with eruby/modruby applications, and
that it was what i used for at the time. Since I developed on a windows box
and deployed on a linux box, it was very nice to be able to see what was
going to happen instead of uploading to the server and testing. I haven't
been doing much of ruby and the web as a team and I have also since
formatted my windows box (was xp, now back to 2k) and I haven't reinstalled
arachno.

It's been on the back of my mind to check it out again since I"m sure it's
farther along then the alpha phase. At the time Lothar gave me a 30 day
trial of Arachno Ruby, maybe he will offer you the same offer?

Zach

I'm considering taking a look at Arachno Ruby but I'd like to hear from some
of you that have tried it.

The only comments I can find on it via Google and Google Groups are from the
author.

Anyone given it a spin yet?

Thanks.

Robert.

Lothar Scholz

Hello Zach,

ZD> It's been on the back of my mind to check it out again since I"m sure it's
ZD> farther along then the alpha phase. At the time Lothar gave me a 30 day
ZD> trial of Arachno Ruby, maybe he will offer you the same offer?

It comes with a 60 day trial and this trial is renewed everytime a new
0.X.0 version comes out, which should be within the 60 days, until i hopefully
can release something final next spring.

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Is there a version for all the scripting languages on the site- e.g.
ruby/python/php/perl? Or would one have to install 1 per language.

Also, since it's written in GNU Smalleiffel, are there any plans to
release an Arachno Eiffel?

Thanks,
Nick

Lothar Scholz

Hello Nicholas,

NVW> Is there a version for all the scripting languages on the site- e.g.
NVW> ruby/python/php/perl? Or would one have to install 1 per language.

At the moment only the ruby version is ready for public eyes. Later
there is 1 per language.

NVW> Also, since it's written in GNU Smalleiffel, are there any plans to
NVW> release an Arachno Eiffel?

No. I was playing with some thoughts about this, just because i use
the editor 8 hours a day to do my eiffel programming. But there is
nothing that is good enough for a public release, because it does not
much more then the eiffel emacs mode (syntax highlighting +
autoindentation).

Keith P Hodges

I was quite impressed with my brief foray into Arachno Ruby. I am
also quite impressed by the ruby-doc stuff that has appeared in the
last 2 years since I last had a serious go at ruby... well done
everyone.

My one query in using ArachnoRuby - I did try to get the -v command
line parameter to set $VERBOSE but it did not seem to work for me.

many thanks

Keith

Lothar Scholz

Hello Keith,

KPH> I was quite impressed with my brief foray into Arachno Ruby. I am
KPH> also quite impressed by the ruby-doc stuff that has appeared in the
KPH> last 2 years since I last had a serious go at ruby... well done
KPH> everyone.

KPH> My one query in using ArachnoRuby - I did try to get the -v command
KPH> line parameter to set $VERBOSE but it did not seem to work for me.

Thanks for the hint. I've forgot to handle ruby start options because
i never used them before. I just fixed it and it will be in the next release.

Wirianto Djunaidi

Saw this mentioned here, so I tried it out. Looks very need and the
debugger also work while rdt kept crashing Eclipse 3.0
while debugging.

One thing that I notice is Arachno Ruby is not supporting attr,
attr_reader, etc. yet...as the variables doesn't show up in
the navigator tree. I think this is an important thing to have as most
ruby code I have seen use this heavily.

-DJ

tony summerfelt

debugger also work while rdt kept crashing Eclipse 3.0

i couldn't get rdt installed on eclipse...looking around for other
solutions i found arachno ruby...

up here in the Great White North it would cost me close to $100 (CAN)
for just the personal version. had the price been $29.99 US, i
probably would have purchased it before i left the web site...

meanwhile for ruby i've been jumping around editors i already own:
vim, boxer, and komodo

Harry Ohlsen

tony summerfelt wrote:

meanwhile for ruby i've been jumping around editors i already own:
vim, boxer, and komodo

For Vim, make sure you grab a copy of exuberant ctags and the
taglist.vim plugin. Combined, they make it a joy to navigate Ruby code
(as well as anything else ctags supports, like C, C++, Java, Vim files).

I only discovered taglist the other day and wouldn't use Vim without it now!

tony summerfelt

For Vim, make sure you grab a copy of exuberant ctags and the
taglist.vim plugin.

i'd take a guess that anybody doing any serious programming with vim
is using ctags and the taglist plugin :)

the only thing i'm really not happy with in using vim for ruby is the
syntax hilighting. i haven't had the time time to create a better
ruby.vim

Gavin Sinclair

i'd take a guess that anybody doing any serious programming with vim
is using ctags and the taglist plugin :)

I'm not, but I will now.
the only thing i'm really not happy with in using vim for ruby is the
syntax hilighting. i haven't had the time time to create a better
ruby.vim

Do you have the latest possible vim-ruby plugins? Grab a CVS snapshot
from http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org, install them and try again. If
there's something specific you dislike, we on that project would like
to hear it.

Cheers,
Gavin

tony summerfelt

Do you have the latest possible vim-ruby plugins? Grab a CVS snapshot
from http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org, install them and try again. If
there's something specific you dislike, we on that project would like
to hear it.

the dates on those looked 2003-ish. i always use the latest vim with
the latest patches (6.3.13 as i type this) i'm assuming it has the
latest ruby.vim

the ruby.vim doesn't have enough colour differentation for me. :)

Harry Ohlsen

Gavin said:
I'm not, but I will now.

We obviously need a Sydney Vim Users' Group :).

Here's a Ruby/Vim question for you ... do you know whether anyone has done work on making matchit.vim work with Ruby? It would be particularly useful, given the "end" based block closing.

For those who don't know, matchit.vim extends Vim's '%' command that normally only matches brackets (and a couple of other things) to jump to the matching </tag> associated with a <tag> in HTML, etc. I'm not sure how many languages it handles, but Ruby doesn't seem to be one of them, at least not out of the box.

Harry O.

Doug Kearns

the dates on those looked 2003-ish. i always use the latest vim with
the latest patches (6.3.13 as i type this) i'm assuming it has the
latest ruby.vim

Whilst a valid assumption, this is not actually correct. :) I'd suggest
using the files available from the above URL.
the ruby.vim doesn't have enough colour differentation for me. :)

Could you be more specific? There are currently about 40 syntax groups
so you may just need to redefine which highlight groups they're linked
to...

See :help group-name for available highlight groups

Regards,
Doug

Doug Kearns

We obviously need a Sydney Vim Users' Group :).

Here's a Ruby/Vim question for you ... do you know whether anyone has done
work on making matchit.vim work with Ruby? It would be particularly
useful, given the "end" based block closing.

This has been available for some time.

See http://vim-ruby.sourceforge.net for the latest version of the
ftplugin.

<snip>

Regards,
Doug

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

I installed it an ran it today, and was very impressed. It's is
incredibly well-done and slick, with lots of the little tweaks that make
things usable and intuive.

For instance, the project browser tab was on the right hand side, and I
was able to drag and drop it to the left hand side. Things are very
dockable ala Jedit or IntelliJ, with nice features like auto-hiding and
push-pins to hold the pane in place.

It also takes some of the nicer features of emacs and incorporates them
into the key-bindings and menus.

I'm also fascinated by the fact that it is written in SmallEiffel + Fox,
with some C for the Ruby debugger.

I only ran it for 20 minutes, but had no trouble finding my way around,
and didn't encounter any glitches. So with that limited exposure, I
can't comment of bugs/feature set, but it looks like it will be a
significant IDE, and well worth the price. Hopefully later in the week
I'll get some more time to look at it.

Another thing worth noting- there was no tiresome registration to
download. That was refreshing.

Nick

Harry Ohlsen

Doug said:
This has been available for some time.

I figured as much. In fact, I was sure I'd used it at one point, but failed to find it when I looked recently.
See http://vim-ruby.sourceforge.net for the latest version of the
ftplugin.

That URL didn't work for me. However, I found it at

http://rubyforge.org/projects/vim-ruby

Is that the right one? The latest snapshot is named

vim-ruby-snapshot-2003-10-12.tar.gz

and dated October 11th, 2003.

In any case, it seems to work just fine. Thanks.

Harry O.

tony summerfelt

Whilst a valid assumption, this is not actually correct. :) I'd suggest
using the files available from the above URL.

i will do that :)

has anybody sent the updated files to the vim author? he's usually
pretty good about including updates in the patches...
See :help group-name for available highlight groups

will do that also...thanks for the information