app_offline.htm DOESN'T go away

Guest

everyone talks about how cool this file is, and I imagine it would be if I
intentionally put it there.

However, I just want to publish my page. Thus far, I have been successful
publishing it to the test server.

Now my server administrator has built a new server, but every time I publish
-
the status at the bottom says:

....Rebuilding...
.... (then I am prompted that the files will be erased and over written) --
still ok
....Publishing
....Publish Suceeded

and then when I go to the page, voila - It's taken offline
and I can't delete the app_offline.htm from within VS.

What is causing this and how do i fix it?

Juan T. Llibre

1. Do you exclude app_offline.htm when you publish the site ?
2. Have you tried deleting app_offline.htm before publihing your app ?

Guest

how do you "exclude" app_offline.htm?
I never included it (created it to begin with) - VS automatically threw it
in there when I published.

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
re:

In Solution Explorer, right-click it and select "Exclude from project".

I think that what he means is that he doesn't have the app_offline.htm
file on his local server, but it gets created when he publishes on the
remote server.

To the OP: Once the website's files have been published, you should be
able to delete app_offline.htm using FTP. If you cannot, you probably
have a problem on the server, I would check that with the server's
administrator.

HTH,
Laurent

Guest

more appropriately, the question I should be asking is:

when the production server was created, why did this App_offline start
appearing when I publish to the NEW server.

In fact, if I publish to the OLD server, this App_offline.htm never appears.
My publish truly succeeds and the site becomes updated.

Does anyone know what DIFFERENCE in a server would cause this to happen?