Application variable with Ruby on Rails

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tom, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I've seen a few newsgroups that ask this question, but have yet to find
    a good answer. Does anyone know of a good way to store a variable in
    memory that can be shared by all sessions in Rails? JSP/ASP/and I
    believe even ColdFusion have the concept of an "Application variable"
    which you can populate at runtime and share amongst all pages/sessions.

    I've seen some say this can't be done, and others say that it can with
    a reference to some homebrew caching mechanism. Are there any thoughts
    in this group? I've seen several ways to cache a page, but I don't
    want to do that - I simply want an array stored in memory because I'm
    going to access it (for reading) *a ton* and it's going to have the
    same data in it for all users. I will update it maybe every few
    minutes, but plan on reading from it every few seconds or even more
    frequently depending on traffic.

    Thanks!
    Tom

    P.S. On other groups I've seen this concept referred to as an
    "application hash" or "global application variable".

    Tom, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Tom

    Eric Hodel Guest

    Your question will be best answered by the Rails mailing list:

    Eric Hodel, Nov 11, 2005