Arbitrary Clock Frequencies From Base Clock

abhisheknag

Hello,

I have a board with the Xilinx V2 Pro (xc2vp30). I am designing a BPSK
demodulator on this board. For the demodulator, I need to generate
arbitrary clock frequencies from 8 MHz to 10 MHz in 100 kHz increments
from the base clock. How can I do this? Does anyone have any VHDL code
I can use for this?

Thanks and regards,

Abhishek

Rtafas

What is your master clock? If it is n*100khz, you may use a counter,
the simplest way is count until you reach the "divider number -1" and
generate an enable pulse. You will not get a 50% duty cycle clock (but
you can count to generate it twice higher than you need and divide by
two). The jitter will be the one from your oscilator.

A DCO (or NCO) is good too, but only if jitter is not a problem (it is
said that jitter is a master clock cycle plus the oscillator, but I
have never found such calculations).

Also, you may need to lock this clock, so, locked loop is the way (PLL,
DPLL or ADPLL).

Also, a good reading about counters and digital synchronous design are
a very good starting points to understand the codes you may found
(IMHO, it is fundamental). Google for it!

Regards,

Rtafas

Ian Muncaster

Following on from Rtafas,
if your master clock is n*50khz then
you should be able to achieve a 50:50 duty cycle clock by loading a count
and a half count value then when counting if your below the half count out =
'1' and when above half count out = '0' this should achieve a near 50:50
duty cycle clock.

Hope this is of help.

REGARDS IAN.

pygmalion

Hello all,

Thank you for the responses. For the time being, I've decided to use
the DCMs on the FPGA I am using. However, I have a feeling I'll require
more "arbitrary" clocks later into the project. Then, I am going to use
some of the many suggestions I've received in this thread.

Thanks and regards,

Abhishek

Ricardo

DCM? fixed output then. Note that it has a minimun working frequency
(about 1Mhz for Spartan3, if I am correct).

If it's ok for your design, good then!

Regards

Tafas