    another question: are data structures (like stack, structure etc.)
    used in C++ identical to those in C and is it possible to use C++
    books to learn about the structures in C?

    Mik0b0, Aug 23, 2007

  2. Mik0b0

    user923005 Guest

    "Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in C (Second Edition)"
    by Mark Allen Weiss
    ISBN: 0-201-49840-5
    No. In C++ we have templates. C has nothing like that.
    Will you read an airplane manual to understand your car?
    The approach for a data structure in C++ will not be like the approach
    in C.

    user923005, Aug 23, 2007

  3. I would recommend "Algorithms in C" by Robert Sedgewick. Part 1-4
    cover Fundamentals, Data Structures, Sort, and Searching
    respectively. Part 5 is a separate volume and focuses on Graphs, the
    two volumes are available separately or as a bundle. The text is
    fairly comprehensive and very well written and the dialog should be
    easy to follow for an undergraduate student. The code is all well-
    written C90 and is clear and concise, the author does a good job of
    taking advantage of common C idioms and practices that you can use in
    the real world.

    Robert Gamble

    Robert Gamble, Aug 23, 2007
  4. I'm currently reading through:

    http://www.course.com/catalog/produ...S2 Data Structures - C&isbn=978-0-534-39080-8

    Data Structures: A Pseudocode Approach with C, Second Edition

    Richard Gilberg, Behrouz Forouzan
    ISBN 13: 978-0-534-39080-8 (C) 2005
    ISBN 10: 0-534-39080-3
    Publish date: October 11, 2004
    672 pages
    Hardcover

    No opinions just yet....

    Dr Chris McDonald E:
    Computer Science & Software Engineering W: http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~chris
    The University of Western Australia, M002 T: +618 6488 2533
    Crawley, Western Australia, 6009 F: +618 6488 1089

    Chris McDonald, Aug 23, 2007
  5. Data Structures and Program Analysis in C - Robert Kruse,Clovis Tondo.
    This could be the ideal book for you.

    Ravishankar S, Aug 23, 2007
  6. Is this C ? I'm asking because I just checked the reviews
    on amazon.com and several say that the examples are in C++.
    They were probably commenting on the wrong book but I want
    to make sure.

    Spiros Bousbouras, Aug 23, 2007
  7. Spiros Bousbouras said:
    See http://www.cs.fiu.edu/~weiss/dsaa_c2e/files.html
    Please bear in mind that typical Amazon reviewers can't even spell C,
    let alone recognise C source code.

    Richard Heathfield, Aug 23, 2007
  8. Mik0b0

    osmium Guest

    Without spending the entire day on this, the only book on Amazon by Weiss
    that I could find has C++ in the *title*. IOW, I couldn't even *find* the
    book with the title listed above. How about providing a link to the reviews
    you mentioned?

    osmium, Aug 23, 2007
  9. There you go
    http://tinyurl.com/2cxygn

    Spiros Bousbouras, Aug 23, 2007
  10. Yep , I c C code.
    I'm sure it was just a case of not looking at the title
    carefully.

    Spiros Bousbouras, Aug 23, 2007
  11. I have a book...
    i'm going to send to your email.

    Romulo Carneiro, Aug 23, 2007
  12. Mik0b0

    Richard Guest

    Clearly not the case and I have found many peer reviews on Amazon for
    technical books to be very illuminating, What do you do when you are not
    putting other people down and blowing up your own self importance?

    Richard, Aug 23, 2007
  13. Mik0b0

    osmium Guest

    Why that book didn't show up on my search is puzzling, also the heavy dose
    of comments WRT C++ are puzzling too. After scanning those reviews, I would
    certainly consider this book as a last resort to buy. But I am opposed to
    the general notion of language oriented books anyway, they use the language
    du jour. Algorithms are permanent, languages are transient. I really
    wouldn't want to struggle through a Fortran oriented book because that was
    in fashion when I went to school. I think pseudocode or a "teaching
    language" Algol or Pascal - - and a *lot* of drawings - should be used to
    teach these things.

    My favorite book for a beginner is probably unobtainable. _Data Structures
    with Abstract Data Types and Pascal_, by Daniel F Stubbs, et al.

    osmium, Aug 23, 2007
  14. Mik0b0

    Al Balmer Guest

    I suspect that the OP is about to become the recipient of an illegal
    copy of something. Or a virus.

    Al Balmer, Aug 23, 2007
  15. Clearly not the case and I have found many peer reviews on Amazon for
    technical books to be very illuminating, What do you do when you are not
    putting other people down and blowing up your own self importance?[/QUOTE]

    There isn't any time left in the day. 12 hours every day of smashing
    newbies and 12 hours every day of blowing up his own self importance
    doesn't leave any *time* for anything else.

    Kenny McCormack, Aug 23, 2007
  16. A search on "Mark Allen Weiss" brings up several of his books,
    including "Efficient C Programming", which I found to be helpful and
    accurate (although I can't say I've subjected it to intense scrutiny).

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Aug 23, 2007
  17. Mik0b0

    Kevin Bagust Guest

    If you look at the three review on the first page it says:

    This review is from: Data Structures and Algorithm Analysis in C++
    (2nd Edition) (Paperback)

    So it is amazon coping the review from one book to another, by the same
    author with a very similar name.

    Kevin.

    Kevin Bagust, Aug 23, 2007
  18. Mik0b0

    user923005 Guest

    Dan Stubbs was a frequent poster here (with a lot of ability), and so
    I guess that book would be very good.

    Weiss is excellent, and the idiot reviews do not tarnish the excellent
    nature of the book.

    Probably, the best book to learn algorithms and data structures is the
    CLR book.
    I have all of Sedgewick's books and they are good (though some of his
    code won't compile).
    I also have Budd's books and I like them.
    I have "Mastering Algorithms with C" but it is really a raw beginner
    book, and so the title is very misleading.

    Every programmer on earth should own his own set of TAOCP.

    user923005, Aug 23, 2007
  19. If you use a very conservative subset of C then you solve most of the
    problems, but not all of them, because standards committees sometimes break
    perfectly good constructs.
    The snag with pseudocode is that it is much harder to get out bugs.

    Malcolm McLean, Aug 23, 2007
  20. Amazon lets you search on the ISBN, 0-201-49840-5.

    Keith Thompson, Aug 23, 2007