Are there books about C data structures?

Flash Gordon

Malcolm McLean wrote, On 25/08/07 13:37:
Richard Heathfield said:
Malcolm McLean said:

But [ISO] can't make their decrees stick. In the end this can
only lead to the abandonment of the standard. My Microsoft
compiler already deprecates the string library.

Then ditch your Microsoft compiler. There are plenty of other high
quality compilers available for your platform, some of them free. For
parochialism to triumph, it is necessary only for cross-platform
developers to do nothing.
I am seriously thinking of getting a Linux machine for hobby
programming. I already use one for science, when I don't use the cluster.
The problem is that users like graphical programs, and there just isn't
a good way of distributing them.

There is not *a* way, there are several good ways. For Linux distribute
RPMs (or source RPMs) and people can just install (or build) them. There
are other alternatives for Linux depending on what you w For MS there
isant. InstallShield and plenty of others.
Java won't link in C routines.

Rubbish. Never heard of the JNI?
Microsoft keep on messing about with their compliers.

Everyone changes things, but most people don't have the major problems
getting compilers to work that you do.
Currently I've got
something that will link in the Windows API, but doesn't document it, so
it's really hard to use.

Never had problems linking to the "Windows API" myself. Just follow the
instructions and it works.
X, well I'm writing a BabyX toolkit. I can't
give something that uses Motif or the gimp widget set to biochemists who
are basically Fortan programmers. Getting them to use C is hard enough.

Well, if they are from some other discipline but they know Fortran you
should give them Fortran. C is not a magic bullet and they have better
things to do than learn aother language.
Really I want to give priority to enhancing the book and fixing errors,
so I haven't devoted much time to Baby X, although it works in the sense
that it puts a UI on screen.

More sensible would be wrapping up an existing GUI kit in an easy to use
way with a Fortran interface, then they only have to learn your wrapper
not a completely new language.

Malcolm McLean

Richard Bos said:
Yes, but that's a politico-economical weapon, intended to lock you
deeper and deeper into M$'s broken "safe" extensions, not a rational
decision. It really has nothing to do with what the committee should and
should not do, except perhaps as an argument that the committee should
not give in to those bullies and should have nothing more to do with
that extension.
Or rather it is a rational decision, if you happen to have Microsoft shares,
but not from a software engineering perspective.
You are right, we need to fight back, to protect our language.