ASP and a ligthweight version of SQL Server

Guest

I have succsessfuly downloaded MSCDEX (which I guess is a kind of
lightweight version of SQL SERVER 2000). It doesn't have much of GUI.

I have Windows XP peronal edition.

I have book I called ASP.NET UNLEASED" by
Stephan Walther.

This is the code that I am trying to run.

conPubs = New
SqlConnection("Server=MITCH1\MITCHSSQL;uid=sa;pwd=darth.vader;database=pubs1").

It tells me that "sa" not trusted user. (I changed my user name to sa,
because the documentatin sat the you needed to be. The password password
from the account remains the same, and it was the password I used
in an install.bat that I used.

This is the code in the authors source:
conPubs = New SqlConnection(
"Server=localhost;uid=sa;pwd=secret;database=pubs" )

It gives me a data base not found error or not have a right to the database.

Interestingly, a tool that I found in my book called "ASP.NET Web Matrix"
will let me create databases, tables and columns, but it won't let me conect
from the VB.NET code.

Guest

You were right. The binary file I downloaded from the web was MSDE2000A.

It appears in the control panel as "Microsoft SQL Server Desktop
Engine(MITCHSSQL)" and it appears in my tray when I reboot an a tray as SQL
Service Manager.

If I open the tray and type "MTICH1\MISTSSQL" in the texboxt with a label
called "Server:"
SQL Server in a drop down list name the defaults to "SQL Server" and has
options "Distributed Transaction" Coordinater" and SQL SERVER"

Guest

Somehow I got it to work. I don't know how exactly, but I got it to work.

You were right. The binary file I downloaded from the web was MSDE2000A.

It appears in the control panel as "Microsoft SQL Server Desktop
Engine(MITCHSSQL)" and it appears in my tray when I reboot an a tray as
SQL Service Manager.

If I open the tray and type "MTICH1\MISTSSQL" in the texboxt with a label
called "Server:"
SQL Server in a drop down list name the defaults to "SQL Server" and has
options "Distributed Transaction" Coordinater" and SQL SERVER"

Are you sure? AFAIK, MSCDEX.exe is an old DOS program to enable the CD
extensions so that DOS (and 16-bit Windows) could read CDs...

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-48,GGLG:en&q=MSCDEX
[/QUOTE]